Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frenziedfemale

Thread: Pictures disappearing from Gallery?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    3 times

Pictures disappearing from Gallery?

Hi

I had a problem a while ago in that , i started up my memopad 173X and went to the gallery , shocked to find no pictures there at all
    I couldn't believe it !!! where are they , so i looked in the photos icon and they were there , i hadn't moved them how did they get there ?
    Better leave them where they are at least i know they are there , next few days there where back in the gallery , is this crazy or what .
    Fews days ago i opened the gallery to find some of my pics had been duplicated , i decided to delete one of each so i ended up with one of each photo ,great .
    Next day all the photos that had duplicates and i deleted one of had all gone , so i have lost quite a few photo.
    How can this happen , is there someone controlling my memopad without me knowing as it really does seem that way , i do wonder when you download an app it does say it can use your camera and delete photos , if you decide to take the option away then it says some parts of the app won't work .
    I am becoming a bit worried of apps now is there a way around this , i use CM security .
    The gallery has some of my pics on it and black squares where the deleted pic was , is there a way of getting them back ?.
    It is so annoying , i have just looked now and have more duplicated pics again i don't want to delete any of them in case i loose them.
    This has put me off using the camera and screenshots i did have some important screenshots i wanted which have been deleted .
    If anyone has had this happen to them and they sorted it please can you let me know what to do .
    Thanks
    Christina
    Last edited by droidbound; 02-14-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Hi Christina,
    I edited your thread title a little to make it more descriptive.
    First thing you should do is to backup the photos you have now. Open your file manager and copy the Pictures, dcim and Screenshot folders to a microSD or your computer via USB cable.
    Check their contents. Maybe your pictures are actually all there.
    I think what you describe may be several things happening:
    When you start the tablet the media scanner service starts in the background and scans your storage for media files and builds a database of them. That can take a while. If you started the tablet, went right into Gallery, none of the pictures are there but appear later, that is what most likely happened.
    The duplicates mysteriously appearing could have several reasons: The Gallery's database of your pictures got corrupted, you installed another photo app or photo editing app and it created a folder with thumbnails of your pictures which Gallery now finds and displays when it scans storage for pictures.... a few more scenarios are thinkable among them that media scanner is just not working properly. The empty squares indicate a missing thumbnail.
    Try this: After backing up your pictures, videos, music off the tablets internal storage go into Settings > Apps and swipe left until you see ALL.
    Scroll down to Gallery and clear it's data and cache.
    Scroll further down and do the same for Media Storage.
    Then reboot the tablet and Gallery will scan your storage and build a fresh database of your stored media.
    Let's see where that gets you

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi

Thanks for your reply ,
    I have done what you said and the pictures haven't come back , only the ones that were already there , so it looks like they are gone for good !.the black squares are gone to , how strange , do apps take over you tablet and can really delete things .
    If so is there a way of not letting this happen , i am really put off of taking pictures with the tablet now , it is such a shame really as it is great to have a play with the apps and the pictures .
    If i was to put them onto the SD card how would i do that . I am using CM security and Clean Master which are really good and also battery Doctor , i don't like the google apps but you can't get rid of those or can you without it causing a problem with your tablet and other apps .
    Many thanks again
    Christina

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    You likely deleted all the photos yourself when you saw duplicates. In the set of two pictures one was likely a thumbnail reference image for the other. When you came back the next day the media scanner would have organized itself and realized that you had deleted the original image and would also remove the thumbnail. I can't see an app being to blame for the deletions.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Here's Google Support on recovering photos that have been backed up - and how to set Google to backup your photos in the future:

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2395305?hl=en-GB

Also check your settings>Accounts>Google - is Picasa Sync set to on? Is Google+ photos set to sync?
    Last edited by Swipe; 02-15-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi ,
    Thanks for that , i wish i had known that option before i cleared the data and cache i may have got them back .
    At least i know now , would you say it is best to have the pictures stored on Gallery or Pictures app , i am not keen on google and don't use picasa .
    Any advice would be greatly received.
    Regards
    Christina

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Whatever pictures app you use shouldn't have an effect on how they are stored. Most apps simply search for where your pictures are stored and then display them.

The best way to back up photos is to offload them into another computer or storage drive. Besides that I use the Google Plus backup solution above and set it to back up only when charging. The backup requires no participation in the social network and the photos are kept completely private.

Other apps like one drive and Dropbox offer almost the exact same auto backup methods as well if you are more familiar with those.

Lastly, clearing data or cache in a gallery app should not delete any photos. Only deleting the photos within the app will remove the JPEG files themselves.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Photos is just the new version of Gallery. In the newer versions of Android they remove Gallery altogether and just have Photos. Just pick the one you like better. Although if you are going to backup your pics to Google, I would suggest Photos as that is one of its main functions.
    droidbound likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links