Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times

Touch Screen not working in some areas

I've recently been noticing my touch screen is not responsive in some areas. When I have the tablet in landscape mode with the power/volume buttons facing up, then none of my Android buttons (Home, back, recent apps, etc) along the bottom strip area are responsive. If I turn the tablet in any other orientation, as in portrait mode or landscape mode so the power/volume buttons are facing down, then these buttons are responsive.

The problem is when I launch an app, that doesn't have auto rotation, then the ONLY way I can get out of that app is to press the power off button and shut down the device.

I decided to perform a factory reset and this hasn't fixed the problem.

Is there a way to do a touch screen calibration, or any trouble shooting I can do, or do I just have a defective device?
    Last edited by Rednroll; 01-20-2015 at 11:00 PM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    There isn't a specific calibration or anything of that sort, I am sorry to say & if you have done a Factory Reset and that hasn't fixed it, then you are likely in for a RMA return as it could be either the main board, or the digitiser.

The problem with Asus in their Android tablet division is that - even on their more expensive Transformer range - their build quality & QA isn't all it could be. When you are dealing with their entry level, "built to a budget" MeMo range, the quality drops even further. To be honest, the MeMo range, while it is inexpensive, does not appear to be designed to last. I wonder whether they are worth bothering with, if I am honest or if folks would be better off buying even cheaper or alternatively looking at Samsung's range if you want something that has a higher component quality.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    I've recently been noticing my touch screen is not responsive in some areas. When I have the tablet in landscape mode with the power/volume buttons facing up, then none of my Android buttons (Home, back, recent apps, etc) along the bottom strip area are responsive. If I turn the tablet in any other orientation, as in portrait mode or landscape mode so the power/volume buttons are facing down, then these buttons are responsive.

The problem is when I launch an app, that doesn't have auto rotation, then the ONLY way I can get out of that app is to press the power off button and shut down the device.

Is there a way to do a touch screen calibration, or any trouble shooting I can do, or do I just have a defective device?
    Rednroll - We are really sorry to hear that you're having this issue with the screen your tablet. We would love to assist you in getting this resolved. Please contact us via email at socialsupportus@asus.com. Kindly include your tablet's serial number along with the model number and a detailed explanation of the issue you're experiencing (how and when it started).

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Thank you.

-In Search of Incredible-

Technical Support Department
    ASUS :: http://service.asus.com/
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post

If your tablet is still under warranty, you have your answer on post no.3 here. If not, please search the forum and see how to re-plug the 2 touchscreen connectors. One of them is probably loose.
    "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Thanks everyone for the responses. That's what I was afraid of, that something may be defective, I just wanted to confirm since I'm not all that familiar with Android devices and being able to do much trouble shooting. Thus, the reason I just decided to do a factory reset. I thought I had some how gotten it into some kind of child lock mode, which disabled these buttons until I rotated the screen and found these buttons worked where I then found it was that entire section of the screen not responding no matter the orientation.

I purchased this device from MicroCenter and decided to purchase their additional MC "1 yr Accidental Replacement plan". I've had the device for about 2 weeks now and it was working well previously, I'm not sure what happened. I think what I may do, to make this more convenient on myself, is bring it back to MicroCenter since it's nearby and let them handle the repair/exchange process. The replacement plan states, if the repair is too costly they'll replace it with an equivalent model. I'm just wondering if I decide to exercise the accidental replacement plan I purchased, if this plan will still be effective towards the replacement if it goes that route. That would stink buying a 1 year plan and only getting 3-4 weeks of use out of it. I definitely want to keep this device, since I just purchased a custom case which will be useless without the same MeMo Pad HD to put in it.

I'll explore the Micro Center retailer option, and see how this will work out and if that doesn't seem so attractive, then I'll follow up on the information ASUS_USA offered above.

Thanks again for the help!!!
    Last edited by Rednroll; 01-22-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    I went to Micro Center today, where I was highly disappointed with their service plan. I purchased this tablet from them on sale, where their service plan clearly says if anything is wrong with the tablet, they will repair it, or if repair is too costly, you can exchange it for the same make/model.

When I went there and asked about them repairing it, they stated they don't repair tablets. Ok, then how about an exchange, I would like the same make/model, since I purchased a custom case that fits the MeMo Pad HD7 only? They said they would exchange it, but I would have to pay the price difference of the current price and on top of that, if I wanted to continue my 1 yr service plan, I would have to pay more since the price is higher for the exchanged device, therefore the price of the service plan is higher as well. All in all, it would have cost me about the same amount if I had just purchased another MeMo Pad HD 7 at the sale price I purchased this one at. I decided to keep the tablet and asked them for a refund on their NON service plan I purchased.

Asus_USA, there's an Email in your inbox.

Thanks for your assistance.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 01-22-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    10 times
    Open the back cover, reassembly the 2 cables for the touchscreen and all will be ok.
    "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1QVIPER View Post
    Open the back cover, reassembly the 2 cables for the touchscreen and all will be ok.
    Asus was great in issuing an RMA, but I ended up getting this taken care of through Micro Center. This is the strangest thing, I have ever witnessed from a retail store in regards to pricing.

Yesterday, I was just about to package this up for shipping to the Asus service department and decided to check Micro Center's website. Where I observed they now had MeMo Pad HD's in stock at the price I purchased mine at (actually less). It was the last day I had on their 15 day return policy. So, I decided to go back to Micro Center and do an exchange. I originally had the 8GB version, and exchanged it for the 16GB version and received money back at the same time.

So see if anyone can figure this pricing out.

I originally purchased an open box MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173L (L=8GB version) for $48.96, original price $139.99. I purchased their accidental damage replacement plan for an additional $20. When I went to do the exchange, they had ME173L's in stock $139.99 new, and $111.96 open box. I asked if I could do an exchange for one of the open boxes they had available, since I originally purchased an open box item, but they wanted to charge me the $63 price difference and I would have to pay $10 more to continue my 1 year accidental damage replacement plan due to the higher price. So an exchange for the EXACT same model that would cost me an additional $73 to complete the exchange. I decided the $20 additional coverage was not worth it, if it was going to cost me additional money to do an exchange for the exact same model, so I asked for my $20 refund on the replacement plan and decided to keep the malfunctioning touch screen ME173L, where I had planned to send it in for an RMA through Asus.

Yesterday when I checked Micro Center's website, they had (2) ME173L's open box for $38.96 and (1) ME173X (16GB version) open box for $40.96. I did the exchange and purchased all three.

Today I check Micro Center's website again and they have (1) ME173X NEW in stock for $32.96. They also still have the ME173L's for $139.99. I figure, there must be something I'm misunderstanding, so I select both models and do a spec comparison on the MC website, to make sure there's something I'm not missing. Nope, just as I expected, they have the exact same specs, except the ME173X has the 16GB eMMC and higher res cameras. I decided to purchase the NEW ME173X for $32.96 as well.

Check this out ME173X on the Left, ME173L on the right. Price of ME173X on left was $32.96

So, I now have (2) ME173L's and (2) ME173X's for a grand total purchase price of $151.84
    Last edited by Rednroll; 01-25-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    It looks like I didn't get the additional NEW ME173X for $32.96, I just received a cancellation notice from MC, stating it was not in stock like was reported from their website.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    10 times
    173X has 2 speakers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links