Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times

How do you view PDF ?

A couple times I've been on a website & tried to download a PDF but it never displays. I've waited what I think is a long time for it to come up but it does not. I've tried to search this forum but the search function stated "PDF" is too short of a search term.

How do I get PDFs to display?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    It seems that the problem as stated is confused by the fact that downloading is one thing and viewing is another. Some browsers are finicky about the download part and some download to the system default download folder or their own download folder. As for viewing, Adobe Reader is available on the Google Store.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought that since it was downloading that it would appear "live" on the screen, similar to how my desktop PC works. Maybe downloading is the wrong word to use but the PDF has to be sent into or streamed into the device in order to view it. However that does not mean it will be saved.

I had presumed the tablet had the ability to view PDF files by using someone's reader. But from what you're saying it appears I need to get a reader.

Thanks for that info.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Exactly. I am not aware off the top of my head of an Android browser that would automatically open a PDF file the same as a desktop would. Even if that were the case there would need to be a plug-in for the browser. It's there on desktops even if not obvious. Most desktop PDF readers install that plug-in automatically.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    Just to add this to try and explain the difference in the functionality paradigm, Mike.

Android (& iOS - although that does display PDFs in the browser & then allows optional saving in another app) are both "mobile" OS's - as such they expect users to use task specific apps.

So, in this case, you use a browser to browse & then download a PDF.

Then you use a file manager to find the PDF - normally in the /sdcard/downloads folder.

Tap it & you'll be prompted to use whatever apps are on your device that can read a PDF file. You can then select to either only use that app this time, or to set it as the default app. Adobe Reader is a good stock app for this sort of thing & is pretty functional too as far as editing is concerned.

As far as the best browser to use, I recommend a read through our browser guide thread, linked from my signature below.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    236 times
    Well.. yes.. but when you click on a PDF file in a browser in Android you can skip the file manager part - the first time. Either it'll immediately pop up a window listing applications which have tagged themselves as being able to handle PDF (e.g. Adobe Reader, but there could be many if you have other PDF-capable apps installed), or it'll show an active little 'download' arrow in the status bar if the file is large, and _then_ pop up a window. And as long as that arrow is in the status bar you can click on it and get that popup window.

The trouble starts when you want to view that file later.. sometimes you can find it by opening Adobe Reader and it'll list it in its file list, other times you have to find the file via a File Manager and then click on it. And get the same pop-up selection window. The problem is where to find it.. it's one thing with just PDF files, loaded via a specific browser, but there are many file types and many apps that can download them, and they don't always agree on where to put them. If you have lots of files and directories you may have to do some hunting.
    Last edited by Tor; 08-08-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links