Thread: [ SOLVED] Cannot install Android update

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    2 times

[ SOLVED] Cannot install Android update

Just got my HD7 in this week. Began using it, and found today that there was an update available (in settings).

So I tap to install. It downloads, then asks if I want to install the update now. I tap yes, and the device reboots - begins the update (with the goofy android animation), then stops with the word "Failed!". After it sits for several minutes, the device reboots and the software remains at 4.2.1.

I tried several times and every time - same issue. So in searching some forums, the suggestion was made to back up my apps (AppBackup) to microSD, then do a factory reset from the settings app. That all done, and the device reboots.

As soon as I can get to "desktop", I go to the settings and try again on the update. Update downloads, I try to install... same error.

So - I go to ASUS support site, fill out a case file. I then jump on chat and get a fellow who sent me a link to the latest firmware, and the following instructions:

The link above is the direct download for the 4.2.2 Source code from our support website. Please follow the instructions below to have it installed.
    1. Extract the file from the download zip file.
    2. The extracted file should be then copied to the root folder of your microSD card. 3. Place microSD card into tablet.
    4. Look for the notification on tablet.

So - I follow directions exactly - insert the microSD card. Only notification is the same one to download and install that failed before. Sure enough - tapping to install led to the same "Failed!" . I cannot figure out how to get this thing to recognize and install from the microSD... Can anyone help???

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

It sounds to me as if you have done everything correctly and as you should have done. On top of that, you have followed the correct process for a manual update as well. (There are guide threads on OTA & manual updates linked from our Master Help Guide for added information. A link is in my signature, below.)

On the basis of what you have done, I'd say that if - having read through our guide threads - you are as convinced as I am that you have done everything correctly, I would recommend returning your tablet to your retailer for a replacement as there is clearly something fundamentally wrong with it.

Hope that helps

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    2 times

Brand New HD7... cannot update from 4.2.1 to the latest factory 4.2.2

"Failed!" That is the name of the game.

This is a new-out-of-the-box ASUS MeMO HD7. Settings shows update available and it downloads, asks to install. Tap the button to proceed and the tab reboots - shows the update animation, then quickly changes to the android laying down with "Failed!".

Repeated tries, even after doing factory erase/reset, result in the same failure.

ASUS tech support is a joke. Chat tech sent me link to download the firmware with instructions to download the firmware, extract it, move the file to a miroSD card (to the "root" level), insert in my device, and "look for the notification on the tablet".

Ok - so done, done... and what notification? The device "sees" the microSD card just fine. I can move files to it, I can back up my apps to it, etc. But it never gives any indication that it wants to install anything provided that way. Only the update that it downloads from ASUS...

IMG_7570.jpgIMG_7571.jpg

ASUS chat support issued an RMA # - but sure would like to avoid being without my BRAND NEW Tablet, 3 days after it arrived!

Any suggestions?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    One thread per subject, per member please (to comply with our forum rules) so I have merged the two together for you.

As I said previously, personally, as your device is only a few days old, I would get your retailer to either replace it for you or even give you a refund, rather than RMA it to Asus.
    Last edited by janner43; 01-11-2014 at 02:43 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm sorry - I had posted this to a couple of forums - and didn't quickly find my original post on transformerforums.

This all being said - I received an RMA # from the retailer, so the Pad is boxed and ready to go back.

While I have read of several issues regarding these tabs and software updates, nothing I have read comes near the magnitude of the problem this one has had - so I am assuming this is a fairly rare problem.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    2 times
    OK - we have an update...My RMA'd Pad is off via UPS to newegg. I was told that it all likely take 5-7 days to receive full credit back to my "method of payment".

Picked up another at a more local retailer (paid the same price, but then had to pay sales tax). After it completed charging, I booted it the first time and went through the initial set-up. Of course, the system software version is 4.2.1. So after I allowed all the stock apps to update, I tapped the system update tab of system settings. I then tapped "Check Updates" - which churns and churns - then spits out:

"Internet connection error or the server is busy. Please wait a moment and try again."

Over the course of an hour, I tried a few times - one time, it churned for a while and said there were no updates available. I've tried another couple of times and it is back to giving the "internet connection or server is busy" error.

I sure hope this is temporary - and not a bad omen. What are the chances of two defective units from two different retailers?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    As stated, the server may be busy. Others have reported busy servers at times - after waiting a while they were able to download.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    2 times
    Sure hope so... will update.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    2 times
    A POSITIVE update!!!

This afternoon, I got notice on my MeMO that the update download successfully - and it installed without a problem. A short while later, It found a second system update - which also downloaded and installed without a hitch. Things seem to be all well!
    Swipe and janner43 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Glad you got your updates successfully.Thread marked as Solved.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links