Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times

Battery life expectations and questions

I bought a pair of Memo Pad HD 7 for my son's for Christmas. My wife stays home with the kids (6 and 4), so most of the time either are using their new tablets, I am not around.

So, that out of the way, what kind of battery life should they be getting? It seems awfully short to me, but at the same time, I am not keeping close track of just how much use they are getting or how often they are being charged. Occasionally my wife charges the tablets, most of the time I end up doing it.

I am not overly dilligent about charging them, so they probably only get charged every 3 days or so by me, but occasionally my wife will charge it in there somewhere too.

It seems my one son's tablet lasts a lot longer than my other son's tablet...but again, I am not around so I don't know how much use each is getting.

My older son's tablet seems to be more of the problem one. I feel like after maybe 90-120 minutes of playing games and watching netflix on it each day for two days, it has maybe 30 odd percent charge left. Wifi is set to be disconnected during sleep and super battery saver mode is enabled, auto synch is turned off.

I did notice that under the battery chart, it listed Google Contact Synch as using roughly 80% of the battery. After resetting it listed Google Services (or something similar) as using roughly that much instead (with UI being around 18% and everything else fractions of a percent). This is from a fresh off state.

Also charging behavior is wonky at best. This morning I tapped the power button before plugging it in, and nothing. So I held it down thinking maybe my son or wife had turned it all the way off. Low battery screen. After plugging it in to the charger for maybe 15 minutes I turned it on and it said it was 31% charged. I checked it maybe 5 or at most 10 minutes later and it was up to 46% charge. 15 minutes later it was up around 60% charge.

Other times my wife or I can plug it in when the battery warning comes up, say around 6% charge and half an hour later it says it is only at 7% charge. Then an hour or so later we'll check it and it is up around 70% charge or so.

So I am thinking something is wrong with it, but I wanted to get everyone else's feedback.

By comparison my other son's tablet, which isn't used as much, seems to hold a charge better and charging behavior seems much more normal. For the former though, its harder to tell because he doesn't use it as much and it maybe gets charged every 4-5 days, but he is maybe using it on average an hour a day for netflix or the occasional game like where's my water or duplo train game. My elder son is playing lego star wars, starfront collision and such which I am sure are MUCH heavier on the battery and is also probably using it a bit more than my younger son is using his every day.

Return windows is the end of this month (Amazon), and it was a warehouse deal...so I can't help wondering if someone else saw it had battery problems and returned it to Amazon. I don't mind returning it to get a new unit, but if this is maybe semi-normal behavior and I am just not in the loop enough I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Don't know if this will help/inform...

PC mag state the following...
    In our battery test, which loops a video with screen brightness set to maximum and Wi-Fi switched on, the HD 7 lasted 5 hours, 50 minutes. That's less than the Kindle Fire HD's 7 hours, and falls well short of the Nexus 7's 10 hours, 50 minutes on the same test.
    Whereas Trusted Reviews state...
    Looking at the specs alone, you’d assume the MeMO Pad HD 7 wouldn’t last as long as the Nexus 7. It has a 3,900mAh 15Wh battery where the Nexus 7 has a 4,325mAh 16Wh unit.

However, in testing we found the MeMO outperformed its older brother. It lasts just over 10 hours when playing video, which is great performance for a low-cost, small tablet like this.
    So it would appear that your having two supposedly identical devices that have varying battery life would match the experience of these two reviews which give diametrically opposed results from their battery life tests!

So I guess, your decision doesn't get any easier

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Sigh. Oh well, I'll just keep a close eye.

Anyone have any ideas on how to force shutdown the goggle contact synch? When I view it in the battery view showing what each app is using/has used, there is no option to force shutdown. I also have auto synch disabled. I did re-enable it, disable just contact synch, disabled auto synch again and reset it and then google contact synch wasn't listed anymore in battery use, but Google Services (or whatever) was then showing as using a pretty similar amount of battery.

I figure huge differences in battery life are either very different testing methodology and/or bad review unit. The difference between looping a 480p low profile source at low volume and minimal to low screen brightness could easily be twice the battery life of looping a 720p high profile high bit rate source at max volume and max screen brightness.

That said, I guess I should only be expecting maybe 5hrs or so of game play (at least with the kind of games my son plays) and maybe 6-7hrs of netflix or a movie(s) (I have the screen brightness set at about 25% on both their tablets unless they are in the car in direct sunlight).

Which, if that is what I am expecting, his Memo pad might actually be in that ballpark. Two days without charging if sometimes he uses it for 2 hrs in the evenings for some games and/or netflix, plus whatever is used during standby would certainly ballpark it in the 30% range, and then if it goes a third day with no charging, it should be kaput.

Compared to the maybe hour per day my younger son might use his, which would still leave it in the 50-70% range.

I guess in part spoiled by my T100's battery life (and the battery life my iPad 2 got and my wife's iPad 2 gets).

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    10 times
    I use this for testing the battery life: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...01.batterylife

Of course, both units will have the same brightness, the same wifi and bt and gps settings, and the same apps working in background.

See what happens
    "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    As far as shutting down various services goes, then given what it looks like these tablets are being used for, why not "disable" all those services that you don't want / need to be in use? There are a great many that can be disabled that will then save battery life because Google have everything they want you to use running in the background by default.

For example - Google search, Google +, Google Talk/Hangouts can all be disabled without any issue - if they are not being used. If you then disable further Google "services" carefully one at a time and on one device at a time to check for functionality you may well end up with devices that are better all round for what you want them for.

Just an idea, anyway
    1QVIPER likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    As far as shutting down various services goes, then given what it looks like these tablets are being used for, why not "disable" all those services that you don't want / need to be in use? There are a great many that can be disabled that will then save battery life because Google have everything they want you to use running in the background by default.

For example - Google search, Google +, Google Talk/Hangouts can all be disabled without any issue - if they are not being used. If you then disable further Google "services" carefully one at a time and on one device at a time to check for functionality you may well end up with devices that are better all round for what you want them for.

Just an idea, anyway
    How do I go about doing that? Pretty much none of the services are of any use for my 6 year old...so I am fine disabling pretty much all of them.

Also, 1QVIPER, thanks for the suggested app, I'll give it a try!

I think in the end I am probably going to return it for a refund and get a new one. Poking around I see one or two threads that talk about the problem, especially the tablet going to sleep or being put to sleep with some vaguely below 50% battery life and then refusing to wake up until plugged in to power, and then you can unplug it right away and it'll run for however much battery is left.

It doesn't seem to be a common problem, but the tablet is doing that occasionally where it refuses to turn on, but then I plug it in, it'll start right up and report, for example, 37% battery life and then run for an hour or two before shutting down from low power.

I got it for $125 as a warehouse deal and I see Amazon has brand new ones for $141 right now.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    To disable apps that you don't use..go to settings and select Apps. Swipe the screen until it says All on top. Scroll down the list and tap disable for apps you wish to disable. You can enable them the same way. Don't worry about a warning if it pops up. Most can be disabled without any issue and if you run into a problem you can re enable the app. My rule of thumb is..if you don't know what the app is..leave it alone or Google it to see if it is something you may need/want.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Well, the one went back to Amazon and the replacement showed up. As it turns out it was $128 warehouse deal and the new one was $141, so little difference.

To early to tell if the new one works perfectly, but it is more promising in the couple of days we've had it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links