Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    1 times

Question Cannot open ME173 as external storage on Windows Vista

Hi all,

When I connect the MemoPad HD7 to a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, I see the ME173X listed in the Windows explorer. BUT, when I click on it, I just get the 'hour glass' icon which keeps spinning for ever.

I don't have an SD card in the MemoPad yet. Do I need one before I can transfer files from the laptop to the MemoPad? Can't I transfer files to the internal storage of the MemoPad?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

There have been situations where tablets would never connect to a computer that were usually because of various problems with the computer, corruptions, anti virus software and more. You don't "need" and SD card to transfer files though it may come in handy. I have a long list of ways to get files to and from the tablet without connecting it to your laptop or using an SD card. The link is below, in my signatue.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Welcome to the forum

There have been situations where tablets would never connect to a computer that were usually because of various problems with the computer, corruptions, anti virus software and more. You don't "need" and SD card to transfer files though it may come in handy. I have a long list of ways to get files to and from the tablet without connecting it to your laptop or using an SD card. The link is below, in my signatue.
    @Leeshor,

thank you for the welcome and your response. I will try the wi-fi method in your guide. I am able to connect an iPod and transfer files to it through iTunes or other software. It is kind of annoying, so I was hoping that copying to/from an Android Tablet would be easier. Unfortunately, I ran into this problem. If it is one of reasons you have mentioned (corruption, anti-virus, etc), then I will try it on a computer running Linux.

Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    3 times
    Also, Olympian.. In Settings -> Storage -> USB Computer Connection (that last one you find under the three-dots at the upper right corner. On my tablet I can only access it *while* plugged in to the computer) ... Anyway, make sure it's set as an MTP device.
    leeshor and olympian like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    1 times
    @PaulPosition, thanks for the suggestion. It was already set to MTP.

Here is an update:
    1. I was able to transfer files to the device using the wi-fi method in LeeShor's guide. I found that WiFi File Explorer and WiFi File Transfer allowed me to transfer files, but there is a size limit (not sure what the limit is, but it seems to be low - it complained when I tried to transfer files of 7 MB).

2. I was using a cable that did not come with the Memo HD 7. I was using a cable which came with a Kindle which looked like the cable that came with the Memo HD 7. But the small connector (sorry, don't know the technical name, but the one that goes into the tablet) was slightly different than the original one. When I used the original cable that came with the HD 7, the computer started showing me the folders on the HD 7 !!! Sorry, I should have mentioned in my OP that I was using the cable that came with the Kindle. The Kindle cable is much longer and convenient to use.

Now, my question is - do I need to use the power adapter that came with the HD 7, or is any USB power adapter OK? I am now using the USB power adapter that came with the kindle (ie. the USB power adapter from Kindle + the original cable from HD 7) to charge the tablet. Is this ok? The reason I am not using the ASUS USB adapter is so that I can share as much of cables/adapters as possible to reduce clutter.

Thanks

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    The ASUS adapters, (and cables) are rather unique to the ASUS tablets. You can use the charger to charge something else and it will auto adjust but any other charger doesn't provide enough voltage for a proper charge on ASUS tablets. Hope that helps a little.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Hi Olympian,

If you visit the Master Help Guide - linked in Leeshor's signature & mine, you'll find a definitive guide to charging on Asus tablets thread. That will give you everything you need to know on that subject. Using a non standard cable is not a good idea - certainly not for data transfer & as far as charging is concerned, then it may or may not work, but the definitive guide covers that side of things.

As far as file transfers are concerned, another way to overcome this is to turn on file sharing on your PC & then use ES File Manager (app) on your Memo. That will access the smb shares on your PC & you can move files to & fro without size limit.

Let me point you in the direction of the guide threads we have here - they will really help you get orientated on your new device. Oh & finally, you will never get your iPod or iTunes to connect to your Android Memo - just don't bother to even try, it cannot be done.

The are ways of synching iTunes music - take a look in the Play Store for Synctunes - there are other options as well, I believe.
    Last edited by janner43; 11-26-2013 at 03:16 AM.
    olympian likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    1 times
    @LeeShor and Janner43, thank you so much for the response and the info. I will go through the guides that you have so kindly provided. I appreciate it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links