Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frederuco

Thread: Can't connect to WiFi (Linksys WRT54GL); problem with wps?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Can't connect to WiFi (Linksys WRT54GL); problem with wps?

I bought this tablet just yesterday and I have a problem already. I can't connect to WiFi, because it appears my router (Linksys WRT54GL) may not have (any obvious) option for wps connection and pin code.
    I see nowhere protected WiFi setup (192.168.1.1 or router itself), only SES setup (more like search option really) to add new devices. And I've looked for instructions on the internet and seen what it should look like.

I tried connecting using SES, but authentication failed (because no option to enter pin appeared).

This tablet was highly praised by the seller, yet it is not that good if it cannot connect even to my own router, let alone that I could use free WiFi hotspots. Not to say tablet is bad, otherwise it's great and very much to my liking, but this is a big downside for me!

Is there a way to bypass this nuisance and connect Asus to this router OR should I return the tablet (because this is not what I wanted and it pays off more than buying a new router- I can't afford to throw away older stuff -speaking as if router is from stone age not max. 2 years ago - all the time and the money I invested in it just because the new stuff is inflexible)?

Please let me know if there's a way to fix this!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    148 times
    The pad is Android, right? There shouldn't be any problems. I have the same router, set up with WPA2. Everything works with my TF201 and TF700, and other gadgets.

-Tor

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Hmmm....

Any chance you can get the actual SSID and passcode instead of using WPS?

I have used WPS (without pin code) on my 2 year old TF101 but never tried it with a PIN code.

EDIT: Did a quick google for "WPS PIN Android" and found this:

Quote Originally Posted by mithu ashi
    - Go to home screen.
    - Select the menu option.
    - Tap on settings icon.
    - Select wireless & networks option.
    - Check the WiFi check box.
    - Select WiFi settings option.
    - Tap on WPS icon.
    - Tap on use pin option.
    - You need to follow the info appeared on screen.
    - After that tap on connect option.
    - You are done.
    Source: http://androidqueries.com/how-connec...html#post83449

Not sure if this will work on your tablet as this is for a Samsung, but I would think it should be similar.

On my TF101 runing Android 4.3 I have a WPS Pin Entry option when I tap the menu key in the top right hand corner:

See if that is on your tablet.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Hmmm....

Source: How to connect to a WiFi using WPS PIN on Samsung Galaxy Precedent with android OS? | Android Troubleshooting

Not sure if this will work on your tablet as this is for a Samsung, but I would think it should be similar.

On my TF101 runing Android 4.3 I have a WPS Pin Entry option when I tap the menu key in the top right hand corner:

See if that is on your tablet.
    'Enter pin xxxxx on your Wi-Fi router. The setup can take up to two minutes to complete.' Tried this yesterday again and again and it didn't work, because I have to enter pin somewhere but there is no such place I see in my router settings.

Here's how it's supposed to look: Article

but there is no such thing.

Any chance you can get the actual SSID and passcode instead of using WPS?
    err...On tablet I have an option to add network:
    Network SSID______
    Security__________
    Password__________

Is that what you mean?

(on router SSID is enabled)

Interestingly enough, it shows me which of my neighbors' connections support WPS.

If you need any screenshot, let me know.

I have used WPS (without pin code) on my 2 year old TF101 but never tried it with a PIN code.
    Teach me, master!
    Last edited by Dunmer; 10-04-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    The pad is Android, right? There shouldn't be any problems. I have the same router, set up with WPA2. Everything works with my TF201 and TF700, and other gadgets.

-Tor
    Yes, it's android. But what do you do when gadget asks you to enter pin on your router? I checked out all tabs and failed to find a suitable field.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Ok, so a wireless network has an SSID (network name you see when you browse for it).

Then you can connect with a password (set in the router wireless security settings). Also, there is type of security (WEP, WPA, WPA2, LEAP, PEAP, etc.) WEP and WPA/WPA 2 are the most common. If you have your SSID, know your security type and have your password/passphrase for the network you do not need to bother with WPS. WPS is designed to allow you to connect without having to know your router info.

There are 2 types of WPS: With and Without PIN. The without PIN is the first kind and basically there is a WPS button on the router to tap to put it into WPS pairing mode. It will allow a device that is looking for WPS pairing to connect for 1-3 minutes depending on the router. The With PIN is bascially always looking for WPS but you have to have the PIN in order to connect.

I have my network set up so my network password is easy for me to remember and it is easier to give to users than having to deal with WPS. The only time I feel WPS is a huge saver is when dealing with devices like printers that can be tough to program the network into.

Also, the WRT54GL uses SES (SecureEasySetup) which may or may not work with all devices. To activate it, tap the orange Cisco Logo on the front of the router. It will start flashing WHITE when it is in SES. Then try using the NON-PIN WPS mode to connect. If this does not work, you will need your SSID, security type and wireless password to connect to your router. WPS with PIN is not going to be an option with this router.
    Dunmer likes this.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunmer View Post
    Yes, it's android. But what do you do when gadget asks you to enter pin on your router? I checked out all tabs and failed to find a suitable field.
    It doesn't. I see the network in the wi-fi wireless list on the gadget (e.g. the TF201 or TF700T), it's listed with (typically) WPA2, I select it, it asks for passphrase/key, and I enter it. This is also the case for my router.
    NB: Now I realize I did a mistake - it's not that exact router I have at my home. However, we used those at work in the past, and I had no problems with any of my gadgets even then.

-Tor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Ok, so a wireless network has an SSID (network name you see when you browse for it).

Then you can connect with a password (set in the router wireless security settings). Also, there is type of security (WEP, WPA, WPA2, LEAP, PEAP, etc.) WEP and WPA/WPA 2 are the most common. If you have your SSID, know your security type and have your password/passphrase for the network you do not need to bother with WPS. WPS is designed to allow you to connect without having to know your router info.

There are 2 types of WPS: With and Without PIN. The without PIN is the first kind and basically there is a WPS button on the router to tap to put it into WPS pairing mode. It will allow a device that is looking for WPS pairing to connect for 1-3 minutes depending on the router. The With PIN is bascially always looking for WPS but you have to have the PIN in order to connect.

I have my network set up so my network password is easy for me to remember and it is easier to give to users than having to deal with WPS. The only time I feel WPS is a huge saver is when dealing with devices like printers that can be tough to program the network into.

Also, the WRT54GL uses SES (SecureEasySetup) which may or may not work with all devices. To activate it, tap the orange Cisco Logo on the front of the router. It will start flashing WHITE when it is in SES. Then try using the NON-PIN WPS mode to connect. If this does not work, you will need your SSID, security type and wireless password to connect to your router. WPS with PIN is not going to be an option with this router.
    Okay, I already figured out the first half of your post while dabbling.

I tried that Cisco Logo button and tablet (no WPS, regular connection) only continued to attempt to obtain IP address each time...and failed.
    I tried also regular name/password connection as I would with my android mobile phone and failed.

WPS is not available on the WRT54G since that its a Wireless G router. WPS button is only applicable for N series router. For the wireless N router, its usually located on top of the router an its an icon look like a refresh button.

Read more: Does the Linksys WRT54G router have Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)? - If so, where do you find it? I`d like to connect my Sony reader, but not compromise the security of the internet :: Ask Me Fast at Does the Linksys WRT54G router have Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)? - If so, where do you find it? I`d like to connect my Sony reader, but not compromise the security of the internet :: Ask Me Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    It doesn't. I see the network in the wi-fi wireless list on the gadget (e.g. the TF201 or TF700T), it's listed with (typically) WPA2, I select it, it asks for passphrase/key, and I enter it. This is also the case for my router.
    NB: Now I realize I did a mistake - it's not that exact router I have at my home. However, we used those at work in the past, and I had no problems with any of my gadgets even then.

-Tor
    Thank you both for trying, especially Frederuco!!! I have reasons to believe this is a lost cause for now. I will keep the tablet (I grew fond of its other functions) and use PC/mobile for internet. Such a pity. If you come up with a new solution, please let me know!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Be sure you understand the difference between WPS (wireless protected setup) and WPA (a wireless encryption type).

WPS is for pairing two wireless devices without needing the security pass phrase.

You can use WPS to connect a device to a network with a WPA passkey.

Android supports WEP and WPA encryption. WPS may not be well supported, but it may be an issue with your router since the one you listed uses SES instead of WPS.

Regardless, if you have the SSID, encryption type (WEP,WPA,WPA2) and the wireless pass phrase your tablet should be able to pair without using WPS or SES.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    194 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunmer View Post
    'Enter pin xxxxx on your Wi-Fi router. The setup can take up to two minutes to complete.' Tried this yesterday again and again and it didn't work, because I have to enter pin somewhere but there is no such place I see in my router settings.

Here's how it's supposed to look: Article

but there is no such thing.

err...On tablet I have an option to add network:
    Network SSID______
    Security__________
    Password__________

Is that what you mean?

(on router SSID is enabled)

Interestingly enough, it shows me which of my neighbors' connections support WPS.

If you need any screenshot, let me know.

Teach me, master!
    Try this:
    Go into the wireless tab on the router than to security tab
    Disable all security temporarily save and see if you can connect
    If so then go back to the security tab and select WPA2 input your old password or a new one save. If you use a new one you will have use that on all your other WIFI devices.
    Hopefully you will then be able to connect to the TF and all will be well.

Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    Tab 32 GB + Dock was mine now my wife's
    LG Optimus V
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Ads