Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times

Home screen and App Drawer do not rotate to portrait orientation

Interesting oddity. I have both an Asus Memo Pad and a new Memo Pad HD 7 and the Memo Pad performs auto-rotate all the time in any app or on the home screen and app drawer. Even when I turn it on and hold it in landscape mode, the lock screen is rotated to match.

Brand new HD 7 and it will not rotate from portrait to landscape in the home screen, lock screen, or app drawer. It's stuck on portrait. I can open any app and they all auto-rotate between portrait and landscape but, as soon as I hit the home soft button, the app disappears and the home screen is shown but it rotates to portrait every time.

I can sit here for minutes with it in landscape orientation but the home screen will not rotate.

I've rebooted, turned auto rotate off and on, and hard reset the device to no avail. Since it rotates in apps, the sensors obviously work as does the auto rotate setting (it does not rotate when that is set to off.) When I reset the device, it goes through the setup steps in landscape mode if I've got it rotated there but, as soon as it's done, home is in portrait! What's up with that?

Any help? I'm guessing it's defective but it's working in some apps so it seems odd.

If someone has some suggestions that might help, please let me know.

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Like many devices it is probably set that way. Try using an alternate launcher like Apex or Nova. They will rotate the home screen and app drawer even when the stock launcher won't...for Apex the setting is under behavior settings.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    Like many devices it is probably set that way.
    If it weren't for some video reviews of the device that show the Memo Pad HD out of the box with no alternate launcher installed rotating at the home screen and app drawer, I'd tend to agree with you. Sure, it's possible the reviews had alternate launchers installed and just didn't say they did but that seems unlikely.

I think I'll go back to the store and check out another one and, if it rotates properly, I'll exchange mine.

Thanks.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    I believe any Android device running 4.1.2 or new should be able to rotate the home screen. Go to the Settings and make sure it is set from the Accessibility options. I would also try a cold boot on the device. Seeing as how the apps can still rotate, it's safe to assume it's not hardware related.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    I have no suggestions to offer, but I can assure you that you’re not alone.

I’m having the exact same issue, no rotation in both home screen and app drawer.

This is the second Memo Pad HD 7 I’ve own. The first one had a problem (it overheated while asleep) and I had to return it. I’m sure that one rotated perfectly even on home and app drawer screens.
    The one I got after, I’m almost sure it rotated at first and then, out of the blue, it stop rotating in both home screen and app drawer.

At one point I disabled the Asus quick settings leaving the stock Android quick settings menu. After a while, I came back to the Asus quick settings menu. Maybe this somehow created a conflict that lead to the bug. It’s a longshot, I know, żbut did you do the same by any chance?

I’ve downloaded several sensor testing apps and the accelerometer seems to be working fine. The screen rotates perfectly in any other instance.

Although it has not satisfied me, I did found a work around. The “Ultimate rotation control” app did allow me to rotate my homescreen. I uninstalled the app since I thought that the problem would not come back, but it did. I prefer to find a solution rather than a workaround, so I’m still looking.

Edit: Solved. I just did an Asus update and now it's rotating again. I'm a WP user, so I'm not sure this following number change with every update, but my compilation number is 4.2.2.91525_20130711.
    Last edited by Pablo82; 12-14-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links