Thread: Use of stylus

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times

Question Use of stylus

I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem. I just got two new HD7's and promptly put on a "protective covering" over the screen. Now, as I am experimenting with my new (and first) tablet, the stylus doesn't work. I am wondering if it is the screen protector that is doing this. When I go into "Super Note Lite", I get response using my finger, but not with the stylus. Any help?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kalamawashington View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem. I just got two new HD7's and promptly put on a "protective covering" over the screen. Now, as I am experimenting with my new (and first) tablet, the stylus doesn't work. I am wondering if it is the screen protector that is doing this. When I go into "Super Note Lite", I get response using my finger, but not with the stylus. Any help?
    Welcome to the forum! Do you not get any response using the stylus? What kind of stylus are you using, rubber, electromagnetic cloth, plastic disc?
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1609 times
    Listen to the user with stylus in his name. lol

It must be made for a capacitive touch screen. I have 6 in my office designed for Palm Pilot type devices, none will work on a capacitive screen. (one of these days I need to do some house cleaning).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the quick replies. I bought a cover from Amazon that fits the tablet exactly, even to the holes for the cameras. With that came a stylus that is just like a "Parker" pen (for those of you old enough to know what that refers to), with a metal "point" that comes out like a ball point pen refill. Any help?

TDR
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    2 times

Lightbulb

a stylus that is just like a "Parker" pen (for those of you old enough to know what that refers to), with a metal "point" that comes out like a ball point pen refill
    That won't work on the MeMo Pad or ony any capacitive screen device. Once tried an old stylus I used with my, now deceased, Windows Mobile PDA on my MeMo Pad.
    It had a plastic tip and it didn't work either. You need a stylus suited for capacitive screens.

TDR
    sculptedstylus likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kalamawashington View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. I bought a cover from Amazon that fits the tablet exactly, even to the holes for the cameras. With that came a stylus that is just like a "Parker" pen (for those of you old enough to know what that refers to), with a metal "point" that comes out like a ball point pen refill. Any help?
    TDR's reply is right on! It's unconscionable that they sent you a resistive stylus, and one with a metal nib, to boot! If it were me, I would send the supplier, and Amazon, a complaint about it. To tell you the truth, although I use to make those type styluses for resistive screens, like the PalmOS, I have never seen one with a metal nib, which would eventually tear up the screen!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    You need a capacitive stylus. Typically they have 3-7mm tips and items as fine as a ball point pen just won't work. Also, some users have had issues with some styluses if they have lower capacitance and resistance in their bodies, especially when using a screen protector.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    21 times
    For what it's worth.
    I do not use any protective cover on my pad but I bought a very cheap [4] rubber broad tipped stylus from a local disount shop and it works extreemly well.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    91 times
    The screen protector shouldn't have anything to do with it. From the sound of it, I don't think your stylus was made for a capacitive screen. All of my styluses have a rubber point, which should work, with or without a screen protector.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    First of all, I want to thank all of you for your help. The key was the words "capacitive screen". I had no idea what that was or what it meant, so I went to the source of all information: GOOGLE!! As they say, "Google is your friend". I put in a search of "stylus for a capacitive screen". The first hit was DIY Capacitive Stylus | MAKE The key here is "DIY". It was a video explaining in very simple terms what a capacitive screen is and what it takes for a stylus to work on one, then gave quite a few ideas for "cheap" styluses (?) (or is it stylui), anyway, I wondered if the top end of the above mentioned stylus would have enough metal to work, and lo and behold, it is a sponge like material that works like a charm. "If it doesn't work, turn it over and try it upside down". So, I now have a stylus that works just fine and also a pen point that I can use to .........................? Anyway, again thanks for the input and the key works that solved my problem.

I just noticed that when I posted the message, the link to the website where I got all that information came out really strange with a "cut and paste", so I will type it out for any who might find it useful. http://makezine.com/projects/diy-capacitive-stylus/

Let's see if that works better.
    Last edited by kalamawashington; 10-20-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads