Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    6 times

Connecting a standard USB flash drive to the Memo Pad HD7

I hope it is OK to start a discussion in the Accessories section about if it is possible to connect a standard USB flash drive to the Memo Pad HD7. I know there are discussions in the general section where some seem to indicate this works and some don't think it works. If there are helpful discussions we could link them here.

I thought this morning, why not just plug in my USB flash drive and see what happens. So I plugged in the cable that I use for charging with a Micro USB on one end and a Standard USB on the other end that came with the Memo Pad HD7. Then I realized that the USB connector on the cable was a male and the one on the USB drive was also a male. Never really thought about Male vs Female connectors for USB connections.

So to test the USB drive, I'm going to have to get some kind of F / F adapter.

Perhaps it would be good if any have gotten a regular flash drive to work and if so how they connected and what size of flash drive.

I'm also wondering what happens if I plug the cable from the Memo Pad into the USB port on my Windows PC? With my digital camera, the camera shows up as an external drive on the PC. Wonder if the same will happen with the Memo Pad or if the PC will just try to charge the Memo Pad. Haven't broke anything today yet - let's plug it in and see what happens .....

Wish the cable was a little longer .... heard a chime .... Yep, memo pad is an external drive on the PC and copied one picture from Memo Pad to the PC - good to know Back to the original Q. (too bad my LG flip top phone does not connect to my PC the same way as the Memo pad - just charges)

Can a standard USB thumb drive be used with the Memo Pad HD7, how do we connect it and what size drive can be used? Would be nice to use my USB thumb drive that I use to backup and transfer data between my PC and my laptop also be used on the Memo Pad without the Memo Pad connected to my PC.

Related posts:
    Help forum - OTG cable discussion:
    Asus HD7 can't do OTG
    Last edited by DenverDave; 10-04-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2318 times
    Hi Dave

Very sensible post & of course it's OK for you to start a thread on this. That's what the forum is for.

What you need if you wish to connect any peripheral USB devices to your pad is a USB OTG ("on the go") adapter. They are pretty inexpensive (under /$/€5) and easily available from Amazon. The USB OTG system is a "standard" and is different to a straightforward male to female connection, so just adding a female to female connection lead to your existing cable probably will not work.

After you have the USB OTG adapter, you'll find that most USB peripherals (flash drives, keyboards etc) should work as long as they do not require any specific drivers on your device.

Cheers

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Just tried, it didn't work

I bought a F/F adapter to connect my 4GB flash drive using the On-the-Go cable that came with my Asus MeMo Smart Pad 10. Both of my file managers don't recognize it.

I'm waiting for a direct connect adapter to come in. It's male micro USB to female standard USB. We'll see...

P.S. My Coby Kyros tablet (that I ruined) was able to read all my USB flash drives, and I was able to root it easily. Can't get this thing rooted. The only downside to the Coby was that it was SLOW.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    I hope it is OK to start a discussion in the Accessories section about if it is possible to connect a standard USB flash drive to the Memo Pad HD7. I know there are discussions in the general section where some seem to indicate this works and some don't think it works. If there are helpful discussions we could link them here.

I thought this morning, why not just plug in my USB flash drive and see what happens. So I plugged in the cable that I use for charging with a Micro USB on one end and a Standard USB on the other end that came with the Memo Pad HD7. Then I realized that the USB connector on the cable was a male and the one on the USB drive was also a male. Never really thought about Male vs Female connectors for USB connections.

So to test the USB drive, I'm going to have to get some kind of F / F adapter.

Perhaps it would be good if any have gotten a regular flash drive to work and if so how they connected and what size of flash drive.

I'm also wondering what happens if I plug the cable from the Memo Pad into the USB port on my Windows PC? With my digital camera, the camera shows up as an external drive on the PC. Wonder if the same will happen with the Memo Pad or if the PC will just try to charge the Memo Pad. Haven't broke anything today yet - let's plug it in and see what happens .....

Wish the cable was a little longer .... heard a chime .... Yep, memo pad is an external drive on the PC and copied one picture from Memo Pad to the PC - good to know Back to the original Q. (too bad my LG flip top phone does not connect to my PC the same way as the Memo pad - just charges)

Can a standard USB thumb drive be used with the Memo Pad HD7, how do we connect it and what size drive can be used? Would be nice to use my USB thumb drive that I use to backup and transfer data between my PC and my laptop also be used on the Memo Pad without the Memo Pad connected to my PC.

Related posts:
    Help forum - OTG cable discussion:
    Asus HD7 can't do OTG

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    6 times
    I purchased Micro Connectors USB micro usb male to usb. a female e07-171-otg connector from micro center in Denver for $ 8.99.

I plugged in a lexar 16 gb drive. The memo pad file manager does not give any indication that the usb drive exixts.

Have others had better results?

= = =

I also purchased a silicon power 16 GB micro SD card with a USB adapter. Memo pad recognizes the micro SD card as expected. XP PC recognizes micro SD using USB adapter and in a separate test XP PC recognizes both the base memory and the micro SD card
    with the memo pad connected with the micro to USB cable that came with the memo pad for charging.
    Last edited by DenverDave; 10-15-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    I tried using a cabel working on other tablets, and my Memo PAD gave no indentications it noticed anything when trying to connect a USB stick to it. Seems most have issues with this, and the few who claims it works seldom post how they do it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    I am new to the tablets world and recently purchased an ASUS Memopad 10. I am with the understanding that the two ports (mini USB for charging and mini HDMI for tv), the mini USB will not work with external USB components such as USB flash drive or USB external HD because it is for charging the device purpose only. It is the same situation with my Samsung phone, Mini USB charges but won't work with connecting it to a TV. My son has a Coby and it connects and reads all type of externa USB devices without any issues at all since it has a seperate USB port other then the HDMI and the charging port. I would like to connect my external portable HD to my ASUS. If it is possible in some way, i would be interested to know. Is there a connector available that I can connect the ext hd via miniSD card reader on any tablet, including ASUS memopad?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a FHD 10, and my wife has a HD7. I hooked a OTG adapter to each of them. They both read USB sticks and assorted other devices with no problem. I have not tried it on our tf300 yet.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gkas View Post
    I have a FHD 10, and my wife has a HD7. I hooked a OTG adapter to each of them. They both read USB sticks and assorted other devices with no problem. I have not tried it on our tf300 yet.
    Could you be more specific about what OTG adapter you used? Several other people have reported failure. I tried Micro Connectors USB micro usb male to usb. a female e07-171-otg connector without success.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2318 times
    As an official Asus representative on the forum, Tien (Asus_USA)should know what he is talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    Make sure you are using a real OTG cable and not just an adapter. An adapter will allow the thumb drive to fit, but not put the device into the host mode it needs to be in.
    An adapter won't work - it isn't wired correctly. To work the connector has to be specified as a USB OTG cable.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    1 times
    I picked up a few of the OTG adapters from Monoprice fo something like $4 each. To check if they were generally OK, I also picked up a generic adapter from Fry's for $5-6. MAKE SURE IT SAYS IT'S AN OTG ADAPTER!! I read somewhere recently that some usb adapters were wired different for these kinds of special adapters. This had something to do with special modes that Mac computers required.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads