Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    0 times

Extreme battery drain

Hi,

I have a me102c running android 4.3 (second update) and last night after the update i played a little and watched some youtube videos for maybe an hour and my battery dropped 13% (from 100% to 87%), it usually lasts longer but that wasn't too weird so i didn't think about it.

But today the tablet refused to open from sleep, so i thought maybe it turned itself off, so i tried long pressing the power button, it would show the intel logo, brighten up and shut off.
    After doing this 5 times i thought maybe it's low on power, although it didn't say anything, so i plugged it in. Then it started charging and i was able to boot it up.

So somehow in ~23 hours in Sleep mode, it drained itself completely.
    I had this drop only less then 10% before in the same amount of time.

So i'm wondering, did the latest update cause this ? Or did some app go haywire and get stuck using 50-80% of the CPU ?
    I installed watchdog so i guess we will see in the next couple of days.

Did any of you notice anything like this ? (after the 2nd update for 4.3)

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGP View Post
    I have a me102c running android 4.3 (second update) and last night after the update i played a little and watched some youtube videos for maybe an hour and my battery dropped 13% (from 100% to 87%), it usually lasts longer but that wasn't too weird so i didn't think about it.

But today the tablet refused to open from sleep, so i thought maybe it turned itself off, so i tried long pressing the power button, it would show the intel logo, brighten up and shut off.
    After doing this 5 times i thought maybe it's low on power, although it didn't say anything, so i plugged it in. Then it started charging and i was able to boot it up.

So somehow in ~23 hours in Sleep mode, it drained itself completely. I had this drop only less then 10% before in the same amount of time. So i'm wondering, did the latest update cause this ? Or did some app go haywire and get stuck using 50-80% of the CPU ? I installed watchdog so i guess we will see in the next couple of days. Did any of you notice anything like this ? (after the 2nd update for 4.3)
    Welcome to the forum Joe

This isn't the first time that glitches have occurred after a significant update on Asus models... the advice to remedy it is pretty consistent. Backup & then Factory Reset. This clears all the cobwebs out from the previous firmware version & just as importantly, ensures that all your apps are fully updated to their newest versions which is crucial with an OS change. Additionally, it means that users must also go through all their configuration settings for wifi, brightness, sleep etc etc as all these things can have significant changes in a new version of an OS. All of those factors could be responsible for your sudden battery drain - which is also a pretty consistent theme across a number of Asus models which were updated to a new OS (starting with the original tf101 when it went from 3.x honeycomb to 4.0 ICS).

Because this issue is almost certainly related to the recent firmware update, I feel you'd get much better coverage & discussion in the thread we have that is about that issue. If you like I'll move your post there for you.

All the best
    Last edited by janner43; 01-22-2014 at 02:55 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Janner,

Thanks for the reply, i will do that if it gives me any more issues.
    What do you use to backup ? and i presume there is some way to restore as well, right ?

On an unrelated issues, this forum is pretty crazy isn't it ? (the software it uses i mean)
    i mean i got an email that you replied, but the link in the email is broken/wrong/not the same as this.

It should be Extreme battery drain
    but it sent me http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-new-post.html

And for some reason there is no "my threads/posts" option like on every other forum. so i had to go searching for this post to be able to reply to it. Not a very good start.

You can move the post if you think that it helps or you can even delete it (but maybe it will help others so keep it.)
    Last edited by janner43; 01-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Hi Joe,

I had to change one of the words in your post above - we try to keep things "family friendly" here and that particular word is a big no-no (mainly because the forum is based in the USA & that word is deemed very rude across the Atlantic) - but not to worry, it is no big issue.

As far as the forum goes, if you tap/click "My Profile" two to the right of your username at the top of the page it will list all your posts for you. When it comes to the broken link I know there were some technical issues in the past 24 hours so that would cover that.

For backing up, on unrooted Android devices there is no equivalent of Apple's iCloud system but I believe you should have a file manager app in your app drawer for copying your documents etc either to a microSD or pop them up into cloud storage with Dropbox or something similar. As far as backing up your app data is concerned, you may have an app called "AppBackup" which Asus put on their devices.

Looking at the other thread, the post times in it now would make this thread confused if I moved it, so best to leave it where it is & I hope others chime in with their comments.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry about that.

Since then i fully recharged my tablet, but haven't had time to use it, so it's been in standby for 2 or 3 days, and it's still at 100%. I find this amazing, since i heard that standby time wasn't the best on this tablet, i think i read 10-14 days, but i do have everything turned off and smart saving on, even with these settings it never was this economical before.

I'm guessing this is due to the recent firmware updates.

I would love to do a longer test run, but i can't not use my tablet for so long :-)

Just wanted to share that.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    0 times

Asus Memo Pad FHD 10 sudden battery drain issues

Mine is suddenly having battery drain issues also. It was fine for the first few weeks (I've had it for about 27 days). I did the factory reset after the 4.3 update. The most recent change was switching the wireless to N network from G, because I thought it would be faster. Would that cause the battery to run down quicker? I have it in the most power-conserving mode where it turns off Wifi when in standby.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    0 times
    I did a factory reset last night and everything has been fine since then. I charged the battery to 100% before going to bed, and when I woke up this morning, it was still at 100%. It has still been on standby all day - I just checked it and it is still at 100%. Maybe one of the apps I had installed was eating the battery in the background. The recent apps installed were EA Sports Real Racing 3 and Fifa 14. Has anyone had issues with either of those? Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    0 times
    After last nights update i played games for 1-2 hours and then pluggeed in the charger and went to bed, i unplugged it in the morning and tonight when i wanted to use it it was off, so i tried turning it on but after the Intel logo it would shut off again.
    I did that 3 times till i realized it completely drained itself again and plugged it in to the charger.

Is it just me or is this draining issue only showing up after an update ?

EDIT:
    Today it did the same, if it does it a 3rd time i'm gonna have to perform a factory reset
    Last edited by JoeGP; 04-18-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately it did that a 3rd time as well, so reluctantly i had to do a factory reset. But unfortunately that did not do anything except give me a couple hours of work to getting everything back the way it was.
    It seems this latest update has some major bugs in it, i recommend avoiding it.

I went to Settings->Battery and if i'm reading it correctly there is a service/app that's running and using a lot of my battery, it's called "mediaserver". I took a screencapture of that page but i don't know where it was saved. It showed that it was using ~60%.

Is there any way of going back to the previous update ? (without voiding my warranty?)

As i see it now i got 2 choices, wait for another update to fix this bug or make use of the warranty and send it in for "repairs".

Is there any offical Asus support i can contact ?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGP View Post

I went to Settings->Battery and if i'm reading it correctly there is a service/app that's running and using a lot of my battery, it's called "mediaserver". I took a screencapture of that page but i don't know where it was saved. It showed that it was using ~60%.

Is there any way of going back to the previous update ? (without voiding my warranty?)

As i see it now i got 2 choices, wait for another update to fix this bug or make use of the warranty and send it in for "repairs".

Is there any offical Asus support i can contact ?
    Mediaserver - do you have an app like JetAudio runnning? It can start up when you boot the tablet and may consume resources like the server. Go to settings>apps>all and see what is running. You can clear the cache, data and force stop apps as well as services.

Screen captures are deposited in the Gallery application. Start Gallery and there should be entries for "screenshots"

The Asus site (ASUS) will have links to support for downloads and service phone #'s, etc. Perhaps re-download the last update and see if that helps. I don't know if you can go to a previous update for your Memo model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links