Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad (7")
    Liked
    3 times

Password removal

Hi again

I've looked on the net for help and drawn a blank: I put a password on the Memeo Pad 7, (because the thing told me to if I wanted to use a VPN). It was wrong, I didn't need a pswd. I'd like, if possible, to restore the swipe unlock and get rid of the pswd. Is this possible and if so how di I do it please.

Oh, yes, I got brave with the tablet and discovered how to disable auto updates to the Goggle music player, as I found it had updated to the awful new one again. That should show it who's boss. Erm.. I think it knows it's the boss, not me.

Thanks in advance

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2261 times
    Hi again

If you go to your device settings, and then to an area called "security & screen lock" (or something very close to that as it can vary from device to device a little) you will be able to change your screen lock from password to slide, face unlock, pattern or PIN. The slide option is the one you are wanting to restore.

As a general help, take a tour through the links in my signature - especially the Android Guides link. You'll find that to be a good general orientation in learning about the Android OS for you.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    I believe if you use VPN or an exchange email account it forces you to have a password/PIN/Pattern if you are in jellybean and maybe ICS.

If you do not have an option to do the "Slide" for your unlock, remove your VPN and try again. Also check that you don't have an exchange account configured for email.

I know you can get around the exchange password if you use the app Touchdown as it has its own password control to avoid the Android password requirement.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad (7")
    Liked
    3 times
    Hello Frederuco

Thank you. I'm sorry to say that as a "newby" to Android (well, all tablets actaully) almost all that you said in the reply was well over my head. I don't have any email accounts for one thing, appart form the one Google insisted I made when I dot the tablet, but I have not used it and suspect I never will. I don't have a clue what an exchange email account is even. I do have Jellybean 4.1 something. Where in hell's name do they get these names from?

I have not configured any email account's as I don't understand how, and, as stated above, don't see me using them any more than I would go near any social networking sites like Facebook etc.

I'm not confident as yet at downloading apps either (re touchdown, whatever it is). I must sound like a total fool, for which I'm very sorry. I am a dinosaur, brought up with UNIX and DOS.

On the subject of Social / message / talk sites / apps... Is it possible to remove unwanted apps which came pre installed, to free up some space? Having looked at what they have to offer, all I will use is 4 or possibly 5 apps, I got this thing to replace my dying media player. As it was under half the price of the Sony media player, it seemed a good choice, I'm less sure that I did the correct thing now, maybe I should have paid the extra 140. *sigh*

As I mentioned before, because my eyesight is, shall I say, not good and getting worse, using computers is more and more unsatistfying for me, in spite of being able to talk to one and make it read back in a voice which I don't often understand and which does not understand puctuation but tries to read it with hilarious results.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad (7")
    Liked
    3 times
    Ah but I am a pain

I have looked at the Screen Security option just now. It says "Screen security", under it it says, "screen lock". Clicking it gives me a box to confirm my pswd, a button to cancel, which takes me back to settings and a keyboard for inputting my confirmed pswd. Ah well, I can live with the number lock. I've lived with worse. Hehe

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    First, if you want to change your current security settings, you have to input your current lock method. Once you confirm this you can see your options..

As far as uninstalling pre-installed apps - no you cannot uninstall them to free up space. Well, you can but you will be surprised to find it will not free up space. They are installed on the /system/ partition. The part you can access is the /data/ partition. So uninstalling apps will free up space on the /system/ partition, but you will not see any extra space when you go to look.

Basically, think of it like this - Your OS is installed on the /system/ partition (pretend it is the C:\ drive of Windows). It is pretty small, maybe 500 MB. It is locked down and you cannot modify any files on it. Then the space you can install apps on is the /data/ partition (pretend it is the D:\ drive of windows). This is something like 13 GB or more depending on your storage space. You can put files here, install programs etc. If you uninstall something, it will free up space on the c:\ but it does not help much as you cannot access it. Also, you need to root (kinda like jailbreaking) to get access to the /system/ partition.

HOWEVER - if you want the icon to disappear from your app drawer, you can go into Settings - Apps - All - <App Name> - Disable (Uninstall updates may have to be pressed first). This will just remove the icon and prevent it from running.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad (7")
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi Frederuco

Thank you, I have got rid of the pin lock. It seems far to paranoid to have to unlock it to get it working, then confirm the pswd again, but that is the way it is, it worked as you said (not that I doubted you).

I bought a thick magazine about Android, it's like a "how to get the best of of Android" guide. It covers rooting in some depth. I skimmed it and shuddered, "Nothing to do with me" I thought. I'm still learning, "struggling" would be a better description and not about to get right inside the operating system. I can mess it up quite well without going to those lenghts. Hehe.

Thank you for the advise on not being unable to remove apps, it makes perfect sense. I may remove the icons however.

I'm a newbie with Android biut should you wish to know about musical instruments, creative writing, (modern poetry sepciallist tutor) or semi conductor processing I'm the man. Mind you, I left physics over twenty years ago, so my concepts of production will be a tad out of date. :-)

It all seems so easy once you have a bit of info which is not easy to work out and needs expert advice. Still, I say that about playing jazz guitar, it's easy. Especially after playing it for 40 years. Ha!

Thanks once more.

Ads