Thread: New Ausu 7 176cx

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    3 times

New Ausu 7 176cx

Since my memopad 173X decided to go faulty with the screen not responding i am thinking of getting the new one Memopad 176cx however what i wondered is i have saved all my apps and documents ect on the sd card from my memopad which uses jelly bean , i noticed that the new one uses Kitkat , what i am wondering if they will still work if i get this model does jellybean transfer to Kitkat.I have games which i am only levels i don't want to lose .
    I was just going to order one off John Lewis for 99 which is a bargin but suddenly remembered that my apps ects are on Jellybean .
    Can anyone help me with this before i place my order .

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    All of you apps can carry over from Google's servers. Your settings likely cannot. Documents can be transfered over from the card or backed up to the cloud.

Games however are a little bit tricky. Some games will have their own cloud backup solutions which are secured by some sort of account. Some will be connected to Goole play games services. Check if you have the google play games services app and what, if any games it is controlling.

Lastly, there may be a 3rd party solution in the form of a desktop backup app called Helium. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup This app backup all setting associated with your apps and restore them on a new device. A word if caution though. It may not be able yo find the save files for some of your games so unfortunately you still may have to start back at square one.

Google Games services is a huge step in the right direction in this regard but relatively few developers integrate its backup features into their system.
    janner43 likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi again Christina

I'll make two comments on your plan...
    1) As long as your apps are from the Play Store or Amazon AppStore, you do not need to back them up to gain access to them again. They are attached to either your Play Store Google Account or your Amazon account. As soon as you enter those account details onto a new device - whatever Android device that is, all the apps - both paid & free that you have in whatever account will be available to you again. I appreciate that does not take into account any game progress you have made, but being able to transfer that between devices is very hit & miss (normally miss) so you may well have to give up on that idea. Unless, that is, the games have a cloud based restore option for game progress. That would be in the game settings somewhere.

2) Personally, despite this being an Asus forum, I would advise you to buy a different device than anything in the MeMo range. Here are my reasons... experience here has now shown that Asus regard the MeMo range as very much a budget range of devices that they change when whatever production run they are on ends. They seem to pump out new models built as cheaply as possible with a "cost based" set of components. You have already seen that your initial MeMo failed in pretty short order. I would not recommend you repeat that purchase.

I'll post this & then take a brief look around John Lewis before posting something of a recommendation to you. Of course, it will be your choice, but I would not buy an Asus MeMo pad for myself or my family.

Hope that helps, all the best
    Gtanner00 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for your reply

Now that has put a spanner in the works !!!
    Cost is important to to me .
    So you don't rate Asus at all ?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    OK I have had a quick look around and here is what I suggest...

The Tesco Hudl 2 was released this week for 129 and is in the Club Card Boost meaning that you can use 65 of clubcard vouchers. Now there is a 15 off 75 existing customer code TDXR-WRTP which reduces the Hudl to 114.

***The code may not work for everybody. Tesco have been sending out 15 off 75 codes by email so there are different codes****

With the Hudl 2 you also get 60 of vouchers including:
    25 free blinkbox credit to spend on movies, books and music
    10 off F&F when you spend 50
    10 off Tesco Direct when you spend 50
    15 of Tesco.com when you spend 60
    10 free 4 x 6 photos when you buy 50 at Tesco Photo

if your budget doesn't stretch to a Hudl 2 you could always opt for a Hudl 1st generation which is 64 with the code.
    Another code which might work if that one above doesn't is TDXR-PRHT

Here is some spec on the Hudl2...

The Intel-powered Hudl 2 is three times faster than the original Hudl tablet, according to Tesco. It also has, as expected, a larger 8.3in full-HD screen. It also has Dolby sound it is now a great device on which to watch movies and play games. (The original Hudl had a 1.5GHz quad-core processor and 7in IPS display.)

The Hudl 2 also features improved 1.2Mp front- and 5Mp rear cameras, and will come in eight colours, including orange and purple. Four cases will be available, costing from 10- to 30. There's 16GB of internal storage as standard, with a microSD slot letting you add a further 32GB. The Hudl 2 has some great child-safety features, which let you set time limits and whitelists.

8.3 inch 1920 x 1200 (Full HD) screen
    Intel Atom quad-core processor up to 1.83 GHz, 2 GB of RAM
    Android Kitkat 4.4.2 operating system
    Stereo speakers with Dolby optimised audio
    5 Mp rear facing camera and 1.2 Mp front facing camera
    16 GB storage, microSD card slot (up to 32GB)
    8 hour battery life
    Dual band Wi-Fi, micro-HDMI
    8 colours: Jazzy Blue, Zesty Orange, Slate Black, Rocket Red, Tropical Turquoise, Dreamy White, Perky Purple and Bubblegum Pink.
    Pre-loaded with Parental filter and controls

In short, it blows any of the Asus range out of the water. For the additional few pounds it is more than worth it.

The slightly larger screen size on its own is well worth it and adds greatly to the using/viewing experience. The 2gb RAM is very significant & additionally you have the ease of exchange with Tesco anywhere in the country.

Why not Google "Tesco Hudl2 Reviews" and read up on it yourself. I don't think you'll find a better buy at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I should make it clear that I am not in any way connected to Tesco - I don't even shop there frequently...

Additionally, if you have enough club card vouchers, the Hudl2 will only cost you 65

Thirdly, ExpertReviews give the device 5 stars, Pocket-Lint 5 stars, TechRadar 4.5 stars

Pocket Lint...
    The Tesco Hudl 2 is, quite simply, the best tablet in its price bracket we've ever seen or used. Not only is it powerful enough to cope with all the games and applications you're likely to want to play, it remembers its target audience with a confidence normally associated with the Apples and Amazons of this world.
    TechRadar
    "This is a stylish, desirable, and cheap full-featured Android tablet that will satisfy the whole family. It completely outshines virtually everything in the same price bracket. You'll be impressed at just how much Tesco's Hudl 2 offers for your money.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi Janner ,

Thanks for that i have just been onto Tesco site and read the reviews , there seems to be a lot of issues about storage , i am not sure what to do , such a pain the other one is faulty , i am sure it could be fixed as it comes on but once i get to the choose language it goes into a world of it's own !!!
    Thanks again

Christina , i will let you know how i get on .

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Expert Reviews

We liked the original Hudl, which we considered basic but great value. The Hudl 2 is a vast improvement. We like the tablet's design, screen and parental control software, and although the tablet isn’t a spectacular performer, it's certainly quick enough. The only disappointment is the battery life, making this more a tablet for the home than for travelling. Despite this, for 129, there's just nothing that can touch it, and if you're a savvy Tesco Clubcard user you can get it for as little as 65. The Hudl 2 is a massive bargain, and a Best Buy.
    Best Buy from these guys...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I don't see how there can be issues with the storage - 16gb built in and a microSD card slot for expansion. What you may be reading are uninformed reviews by buyers who are not aware that KitKat - which is a massive improvement for Google - does plavce more stringent requirements on app developers in the way they handle the external storage. (MicroSD) Essentially though, if you use the internal storage for all your apps & then use the microSD for your photos, videos, books, documents etc etc you won't get any sort of problem.

If you do buy one, don't be afraid to post back here if you need help or advice on setting it up or in the general use of Android - I'll be happy to give you general advice on that if you need it. But all Android devices are pretty much the same when it comes to the software side, so it isn't any trouble. And as you'll see from my signature list, we've had quite a few in our time.

Cheers.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I see this review from an owner, which is what I gues you read...

gwynfryn111
    2 days ago
    Hudl 2 - Internal storage!

Bought hudl 2 yesterday, installed apps fine. Advertised as coming with 16gb internal storage. Checked Settings>Storage and internal storage only shows 9.25GB, of which 7.65GB was now available as I have installed apps. Where has the 7GB gone? Contacted Tesco Hudl support and techie confirmed that his hudl also showed 9GB as a basline starting figure, he put the 7GB down to kit kat o/s (but was unable to find out how much that took up) and pre-loaded apps. So you DO NOT get 16GB internal storage. I also bought a 32GB sd card, that showed I had 29GB free when installed which is correct (formating/o/s etc), BUT there is no way to direct your photos/music downloads/videos etc directly to the sd card. Everything gets stored on the internal storage (sd0) and then you have to manually transfer the files (esfile browser app) to the sd card (sd1).....Not satisfactory
    Basically this poster is only half informed.

Of course you don't get 16gb of free space. All OS take up space & KitKat is no different. When you include all the bundled apps from Google & the OS, then there isn't anything unusual there.

Secondly, as I suspected, this reviewer does not understand the new framework that KitKat has imposed with regards to external storage.

In short, that review is just misinformed - well intentioned, maybe - but not accurate.

If we were in the market for another device, I'd buy one immediately.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links