Thread: Video stutter

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times

Video stutter

The biggest problem i noticed in this tablet is the inability to play 720p video smoothly.
    Does anyone managed to make it play 720p video smoothly? I have read that there is a software issue in RK3188 kernel.

Thanks

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by blizard View Post
    The biggest problem i noticed in this tablet is the inability to play 720p video smoothly.
    Does anyone managed to make it play 720p video smoothly? I have read that there is a software issue in RK3188 kernel.

Thanks

What kind of videos are you trying to play?

Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    or Android, player apps such as Dice Player (link), MX player (link) and for Apple, GoodPlayer (link) and PowerPlayer (link) provide support for popular video formats such as AVI, MOV, MKV and more, enabling you to play almost any video file type on your device.

Many video files will work just fine with these apps, but there is a reason why the build-in video player only works with certain file-types. Hardware Acceleration.

Both Apple and Android devices (as well as Blackberry and Windows Phone ones) have a build-in "decoder" chip for video playback. This chip is designed to optimize video playback for the videos you can purchase from the online video store for your device, and because its only purpose is video playback, it is capable of handling very high quality video without causing much battery drain.

While there are some video formats in unsupported video files that can be handled by the video chip, certain settings that can be used when the video is being created are incompatible with the chip. For these video files, as well as the video files that are not supported at all, the video players that play them use something called "software decoding". Because the actual video chip doesn't work with them, these players make use of the main processor of the device to play the video.

With the use of the processor, just about any video file type can be played, but of course processor speed and the video format and resolution itself comes into play.

Certain video formats such as H264/VC-1 (often found in MKV files) are more demanding that MPEG2 (DVD/VOB files) and DIVX (AVI files). If you are using an older or lower-end device, you should be able to play avi files without much problems, but if you try an MKV file, you will likely run into some playback issues.

With newer high-end devices, AVI's will definately play fine, and you should even be able to play 720p MKV files without an issue, but you might run into issues with 1080p MKV's. The video format itself is quite demanding already, and with a high resolution, the processor has to work a lot harder in order to be able to display the video.

Things you might run into when you are trying to play unsupported video files:

* Stuttering video. If the video is too large or too demanding for the processor to handle, it will not be able to keep up with the movie, and thus stutter or even freeze.

* Audio sync issues. a video file consists of a video portion and an audio portion. The processor has to keep up with both in order to provide the full playback experience. Some players are able to split the video file into hardware decoding the video and software decoding the audio. Because both sections of the movie are handled differently, it is possible that there is a slight difference in timing between the two, resulting in audio sync issues.

* Fast battery drain. Because the videos are decoded in software mode, making full use of the main processor, rather than the specialized video chip, battery will drain faster (your tablet might get a bit hot after a little while too). With less demanding videos such as DIVX AVI files, it shouldn't put that much of a strain on the device, but with HD MKV's, the higher the quality, the faster the battery will drain.

So for unsupported video formats, the main processor of the smartphone/tablet is what makes the biggest difference in being able to play a video or being able to enjoy watching a video. The faster the processor (and if the player makes good use of the processor), the higher the quality of video files you can watch on it. On a current generation high end device (nVidia Tegra 4, Apple A6/A7 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 800) based device, you should be able to play full HD video without much issues, but with a previous generation or lower-end device, 1080p will likely be impossible to enjoy, and even 720p resolution videos might have playback issues.

If your videos are compatible with the hardware decoding, even older devices such as the first-generation iPad and the iPhone 4 can play 720p video and Tegra2-based tablets such as the Acer A500, Asus Transformer Tf101 and the Motorola Xoom are capable of playing full 1080p videos without any complications.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    720p MKV files.
    They stutter a lot!!
    Impossible to watch.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    720p MKV files.
    They stutter a lot!!
    Impossible to watch.
    People have had issues with MKV files on all the tablets, not just Transformers. Sometimes it depends on the player and codecs and sometimes the easiest thing to do is just convert them

dvdcatalyst
    720p MKV files.
    They stutter a lot!!
    Impossible to watch.
    I'm not sure if you read any of it, but in my first reply, I included a bunch of information as to why you are experiencing these stutter issues.

In short, you will need to convert your 720p MKV videos. The stutter is because the videos are not compatible with the memopad.

This should help:

https://www.tools4movies.com/how-to-...-asus-memopad/
    leeshor likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not sure if you read any of it, but in my first reply, I included a bunch of information as to why you are experiencing these stutter issues.

In short, you will need to convert your 720p MKV videos. The stutter is because the videos are not compatible with the memopad.

This should help:

https://www.tools4movies.com/how-to-...-asus-memopad/
    I don't find that acceptable in a quad-core device like this... but thanks.

PS: Nice try on selling that software.

dvdcatalyst
    I don't find that acceptable in a quad-core device like this... but thanks.

Unacceptable as it may be, it is what it is.

Since this is a user forum not associated with Asus, you might want to let them know directly:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Contact us

PS: Nice try on selling that software.
    Thanks.

If you would have read the contents of my first reply, then the second one wasn't needed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the ME102a which was picked up from Groupon last week. I have no issues with any stutter of any video and have watched plenty on it. Personally, I signed up to disagree with this entire thread as I find the ME102a to be a decent tablet for those of us who are nearing 40, tech savvy (I'll route your Docsis packets into a null scheduler), and want a little something to play with that isn't as dumbed down as an apple. Kudos to Asus on this tablet.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkatona View Post
    I have the ME102a which was picked up from Groupon last week. I have no issues with any stutter of any video and have watched plenty on it. Personally, I signed up to disagree with this entire thread as I find the ME102a to be a decent tablet for those of us who are nearing 40, tech savvy (I'll route your Docsis packets into a null scheduler), and want a little something to play with that isn't as dumbed down as an apple. Kudos to Asus on this tablet.
    Hi mjkatona,

welcome to the forums and congrats on your new tablet.

The tablet is perfectly capable of playing HD video. Even 1080p video will work just fine, but the problem the original poster is experiencing is that the tablet doesn't just play every video file format that is there.

MKV, the files that he/she is experiencing issues with, is a format that isn't supported on Android by default, and a format that was designed to work with video content regardless of what codec is needed. MKV can contain H264/AVC, DIVX, XVID, WMV, VC1 and a whole bunch of others, but from those, Android only supports the H264/AVC codec (a few others like 3GP and MPEG4-SP, but those are rarely used in MKV files).

But there are a lot of different settings that H264 has, such as different quality profiles, complexity levels etc, and not everything is supported by the hardware decoder.

There are players such as Rock Player, Dice Player and MX Player that work around this issue by playing the video files using the processor directly, rather than using the dedicated video decoding portion, and here is where the problem lies.

While the video decoding portion, often referred to as hardware decoding, has no problems with HD video, the processor itself (software decoding) is having a hard time decoding the video. With lower-resolution videos, it will work just fine in software decoding, but with 720p and 1080p, the amount of pixels per frame plus the amount of frames per second is just too much to handle.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    MKV, the files that he/she is experiencing issues with, is a format that isn't supported on Android by default, and a format that was designed to work with video content regardless of what codec is needed. MKV can contain H264/AVC, DIVX, XVID, WMV, VC1 and a whole bunch of others, but from those, Android only supports the H264/AVC codec (a few others like 3GP and MPEG4-SP, but those are rarely used in MKV files).
    I hear what you're saying in theory. I have the entire Sophie the First season in MKV file format...for my 16 month old... and they run fine on the default video player. I just want to make sure those people who are researching the ME102a don't freak out when they see the posting. I know it threw me off prior to clicking the "buy now" button.

Thanks for the in depth report. We are driving up to Ohio from Florida over the Christmas break and I'll give a full report on how the battery lasted while playing movies, etc.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links