Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Questions re Image Management, Asus Transformer: aspect ratios, viewing, etc. Advice?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times

Questions re Image Management, Asus Transformer: aspect ratios, viewing, etc. Advice?

Just back from holidaying in southern Spain, and took both my TF and trusty ol' Panasonic Lumix. I'm something of an amateur geek when it comes to photography -- I even have a full version of Photoshop, and have done enough self-teaching to at least master *some* of its aspects over the past, er, eight years. So. . .

First reactions where the TF is concerned (as a camera): surprisingly impressive. I didn't buy the TF to be a camera-substitute, and it never will be -- apart from anything else, a screen / viewfinder size that large is inevitably prone to so much bright-day reflection as to be unuseable: you can't even see the controls, let alone the image. However. . . by shooting 'blind' in point-and-hope mode, I managed several dozen test shots which by any yardstick are very good indeed. Well done, Asus. (Apple: eat yer heart out.)

But I also shot around 300 images on the little Lumix, and on return have now edited 'em down to a third of that number. Of that third, I've selected 40 for storing on the TF. Now. . . Here comes the tecchie bit:

1) Sequential image viewing. The Panasonic shoots at default 3072 x 2304. Not only is that way, way too big for the TF, it's also the wrong shape (yes, I know, I could set the Lumix to shoot wide-screen, but experience has long since taught that it's better to shoot in 4:3 and crop afterwards.) And cropping in Photoshop is, of course, an absolute doddle: just enter the chosen width x height + resolution parameters in the crop pane and off you go. So. . .

2) Checking all the reviews and specs re the TF, I see that the screen size is said to be 1280 x 800. So I've cropped the 3072 x 2304 to that ratio. No problem. The shots were then copied to microSD and then copied from there into a new sub-folder I created in the Transformer's Pictures folder.
    The shots are in a particular sequence which doesn't necessarily reflect date and time, but are alpha-numerically identified the standard way, i.e.: 001 Spain, 002 Spain, 003 Spain etc. On a Windows PC, sequential viewing is therefore as it should be. But. . .

3) Apparently not on the TF. I go into Gallery, Pictures, Spain album, and Gallery hops about all over the place. The images seem to be thumbnailed in the correct sequence (though it's difficult to tell) but when it comes to viewing them, the ordering is shot to hell: image 008 followed by 011, for example, or 023 jumping to 027. Doesn't matter whether I manually sweep from image to image or run the (pretty awful!) 'slideshow' sequencer: the images do not follow one upon the other in alphanumerical order. Couple of questions, then:

a). Does anyone know why the TF isn't screening these images in alphanumeric sequence? and:

b). Does anyone know how to fix this?

4) Aspect ratio. Although I've cropped all the images to suit what I'm told is the TF's 1280 x 800 display, I'm not entirely sure that those figures are correct: there seems to be spare screen estate around the images. Couple of questions:

a). Am I wrong in thinking there's something a bit 'off' with this oft-quoted 1280 x 800 or:

b). Am I correct in my impression -- if so, just what is the accurate aspect ratio? (I wish to use the images as and when as static wallpaper, so yes, they're supposed to occupy all the screen estate, not just a percentage of it.)

5) Image cropping. I don't know who dreamt up the 'crop facility' that came with Android 3.1 but they might be best employed on a job which doesn't involve computing: I've never seen anything more clumsy and less intuitive. Luckily, I -- like a lot of others -- post-process my pix, so being compelled to wrestle with cropping on the TF itself is a pain I don't have to incur. However, I'm still sufficiently a TF / Android complete newbie that I haven't yet gotten to grips with the home screen / subsidiary screens set-up -- in my case, I have four or five screens in total (can't remember off-hand!) So, another question:

a). Assuming that the 1280 x 800 aspect ratio is correct (or, if it's not, figuring out what it actually should be for full-screen display) then is an image to that optimum A/R capable of 'migrating' across the other screens?? (Sorry if that sounds like a truly daft question, but I've never had any Android system before -- nor anything from Apple, either.) Or should I actually be cropping an image to a quite different 'stretched' aspect?

6) Finally. . . Slideshow. Anyone know if there's a slideshow app for the TF / Honeycomb which they'd wholeheartedly recommend? What passes for a 'slideshow' on my TF is roughly on a par with what passed for a slideshow on Windows for Workgroups 1994.

Apologies for length of this post but I'm trying to pull together several image-related queries into this one place on the basis that, hopefully, I'm not uniquely ignorant and that there may be some others like me who're still trying to get to grips with image management / image viewing on their new TF.

As usual, help will be greatly appreciated!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Swan7, nice to see you back! And you're always a person of few words. Being Sunday our knowledgeable photographers are most likely in church and will hopefully tackle your post as soon as they can. I always enjoy your well thought out questions because I learn from them too!
    Swan7 likes this.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    LOL...man of few words.....

I am interested in this as well as I noticed the gallery has its own order of organization at times. I have not quite figured it out. I am an avid DSLR shooter so I will definitely be using some of the answers to these questions in the future as wall as researching them if no one else has an answer in the next few days.
    Swan7 likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Gee, shucks, you two.

Though, er, it's a woman of too many words!

(But I do try. . .)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swan7 View Post
    Gee, shucks, you two.

Though, er, it's a woman of too many words!

(But I do try. . .)
    I know you're from England. But here in California we don't just say woman. You're not quite sure what your getting 'till you check the plumbing.
    Swan7 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    I know you're from England. But here in California we don't just say woman. You're not quite sure what your getting 'till you check the plumbing.
    Aaaah.

whoops: insufficient number of characters for posting. . .

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I was just quoting.

Cheers

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey Swan.
    Check out Multi Picture Live. I also shoot with Pani Lumix ''LX5''. Multi Picture Live has allowed me to use MY pics in a way that makes me happy. Lumix pics on this screen are dazzling!!! Recently saw a post with user guide for MPL, don't remember where it was but I'm sure you could find it with a search of these forums.

Good luck, 10

MultiPicture Live Wallpaper is the actual name of the app.
    Last edited by in10city; 07-03-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Swan7 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Hey Swan.
    Check out Multi Picture Live. I also shoot with Pani Lumix ''LX5''. Multi Picture Live has allowed me to use MY pics in a way that makes me happy. Lumix pics on this screen are dazzling!!! Recently saw a post with user guide for MPL, don't remember where it was but I'm sure you could find it with a search of these forums.

Good luck, 10. MultiPicture Live Wallpaper is the actual name of the app.
    Thanks for that, 10: much appreciated! I'll go check it out now.

Still waiting and wondering re my earlier queries though on aspect ratio and sequence viewing: are we a bit short of photo geeks on this forum?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    It seems so doesn't it, Swan7? These guys can program, root, dismantle, and about everything else to the Transformer but when you ask about a simple photo question where are they?
    Last edited by mrumm49; 07-04-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links