Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    0 times

How big an sdcard?

Has anyone tried an sd card larger than 32gb? If so, did it work out, and if it did work out, what card did you use?

I have a lot of music I'd like to carry along, enough to fill a 128, let alone a 32, so I'd hate to restrict myself if I don't need to.

Thanks,
    apparition13

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

I have a 64 GB microSD (Sandisk Class 10) and a 64 GB SD card in my TF101 (also Sandisk Class 10).

Officially, it only advertises 32 GB card compatability because anything larger is classified as SDXC and M$ has made it so that the standard file structure for SDXC is exFAT instead of FAT32. You cannot use Windows to format a SDXC as FAT32 unless you use a 3rd party app.

With that being said, AFAIK all Asus stock firmware for the TF101 and SL101 series has no issues reading exFAT cards.

I know some users here who have posted about using 128 GB SD cards without any issues, so I say go for it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    255 times
    I have a Sandisk class 10 64GB (SDXC) microSD card (one of the faster models, 'extreme' something, don't recall exactly). No problems with it. Started to use it in a TF201 quite some time ago.

NB: It's important to
    a) Buy from a reputable place (there are some fakes out there, particularly on ebay)
    b) NOT format the card on the PC before use. It comes perfectly formatted out of the box (ExFAT for all 32GB and larger, as mentioned by Frederuco), and a standard Windows formatting tool doesn't know how to format memory cards correctly. Don't format it, and it will work well.

When that's said, on the TF201 the internal storage is noticeably faster than the Sandisk class 10 card - not that it's a problem, e.g. playing HD videos directly from the card works perfectly fine but Gallery is visibly faster at thumbnailing from internal storage than when doing the same on the card (when I got the card I moved all video and pictures over to the card, so everything was the same.). The difference seems less on the TF700, but that's actually because the internal storage appears to be slower than on the TF201.. not that I have actually tried to measure that.

But anyway, as far as cards are concerned every SDXC card up to 2 terabytes should in principle work just fine.

-Tor
    Last edited by Tor; 06-13-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the replies. Since you mentioned windows, will I be able to transfer directly to the card from a windows machine, given the ExFat disk formatting?

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by apparition13 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Since you mentioned windows, will I be able to transfer directly to the card from a windows machine, given the ExFat disk formatting?
    Yes, all the way back to Windows XP as long as they have been updated normally. I listed all the versions and variants which work with ExFAT in another thread somewhere.

-Tor

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Just don't format it in your PC if you can help it, this can cause issues.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links