Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    0 times

Question Connect a serial cable

Hi,

I work with routers and switches very often. Generally, I use a netbook with a serial to USB cable to open a terminal and work in switches with command line. Just to know, is it possible to connect this (maybe some drivers issues) to my Slider and which app can I use to choose a source from a terminal to do command line. I download a terminal emulation app, but I think that I can't connect to other port and just play on the directories of the Slider.

Thanks for some ideas!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    I think you are going to face a serious driver problem, here-- all the USB to Serial adapters I've ever seen, use drivers of some flavor to make the connection between the old serial hardware and the USB bus (which is somewhat different).

I am a survivor of the old DOS days, and back in the day, was quite adept at writing complex .BAT files for that OS. And configuring serial cables and interconnections was a royal pain I recall all too well.

But, some of these adapter dongles have Linux drivers, and Android is a stepchild of Linux is it not?

Obviously, you are going to need either a keyboard dock or a USB adapter box, as the 300 itself does not have a native USB port (so far as I know). I would recommend the kb dock, just for it's hardware-keyboard alone-- I suspect you are going to need TERMINAL (or some Androidesque equivalent) before you are done.

And root-- I would betcha you're gonna need root access too-- so you can go into the Linux command-line mode, to issue mount commands and configurations. And this is where my scant knowledge of Linux ends.

As a good start, though? I would go out to a good Linux forum, and search for someone who's got a USB-to-Serial dongle/cable working in Linux. Likely they wrote a driver for it-- one which might be adaptable for Android.

Best of luck to you!

If you DO manage to dig up what is needed, and also manage to get it working? I betcha you could sell that app/driver on the Market for $5 at least-- maybe $10 or more, as it's such a niche market.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I am with Bob on this too.

Except the OP has a slider which has the USB port.

I have not tried this at all, but it will definitely need a driver to work.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    51 times
    I've used usb-to-serial on linux in the past (my sheeva plug) with the fdti_sio driver. If your adapter/convert use the fdti chip then this is the driver you need. However, you would still need root to load the driver to android and an app to talk to the port.

How to enable FTDI Support for your USB Host featuring Honeycomb Tablet (including sample native application) | Using Android in Industrial Automation

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much to all your answers!

I will try many things in the next few days...

And yes I have a USB port on my Slider, so the real deal is to have drivers...

I have a crazy idea... hummm... is it possible to have an emulator of Linux on an android tablet? My friend got SNES Rom on his TF101, I know that is so different, but if I can have a Linux distribution on this tablet, maybe I will can do something! For the root access... God... I will try what I will find on different forums.. Root acces will be very great for many things like manage the tablet for real and do command on it.. But i'm not sure I want to break my tablet lol...

Thank you to all of you

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    You can run a chroot instance of openSuSE on the TF101. Here is the link openSUSE on Android (chroot only) Michal Hru. I had it working on mine when I still had HC, but never tried to get it working after the ICS update. It basically gives you a linux command shell. I don't know if it will solve your driver issue though, but you will have a terminal app.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Another thought I just had - I had a Bluetooth to DB-9 serial adapter that I used a few years back to connect wireless to a serial port using Bluetooth. I have not tried it with the TF. I do not even know where it ended up since my company now as a strict no-tolerance on BT in our laptops for some reason.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links