View Poll Results: Should I buy an Asus Slide?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy an Asus Slide

8 36.36%
  • Don't Buy an Asus Slide

14 63.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I still prefer my Transformer than the slider, giving the fact it has the option to detach the keyboard.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    4dthinker, I was reading your blog and I wonder... are you a tablet collector?
    Android Devices:
    - Asus Transformer TF101 16 GB B70 w/Keyboard Dock B60
    - Motorola Milestone

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
    4dthinker, I was reading your blog and I wonder... are you a tablet collector?
    I certainly have a collection. Not that I intended to though. I've been hot on the pursuit of a device to solve a list of needs that the original PDA (Handspring Treo) I had didn't help with or wasn't good/efficient/easy at. Went through 50 or so MP3 players, mainly to find a great sounding one with a few other reasons to keep it on me. Then the tablets started showing up for around the same price as the better MP3 players sell for. Apple's devices aggravate me for what they don't do, and so I've been sifting through the android based touchscreen gear in the hunt for a perfect digital extension of myself.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Keyboard

I get surprised when people complain about the size of keyboard, I have used a Psion 5mx for a decade and the keyboard is a quarter of the size of the Slider's yet I can touch type quite easily on it (and I have fat fingers). I reckon that it just takes getting used to.

I like the fact that with the Slider they have got rid of some of the redundancy of the TF - doubling and trebling up keys and getting rid of the second function key. I would imagine that a year from now there will be a dozen options to choose from that are tablets with decent keyboards, some better, some worse.

If I were the guys at Psion, I'd be kicking myself now, they could have brought this to market a decade ago but decided to bow out. Still, despite being 10 years old, the 5mx is a great piece of kit - takes 2 AA batteries and that lasts about a month, the software was the least buggy of any I've ever come across, and it was pretty robust. But hey, as Sony will tell you, Betamax was better than VHS. (Maybe Psion's stupidest move was to not allow developers to play around more when designing apps, but hey, 20:20 and history)

I just hope the Asus people get hold of some 5mx's and have a play around for ideas, the TF is the first piece of kit that comes close to replacing it.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    51 times
    I, for one, like to have choices (as we have in Android Universe vs the iUniverse) so in this way the Slider is a good thing. It's not for me but many peoples seem to like it and prefer it to the TF, and that's perfectly fine in my book. At the very least, it not just another 10" tablet (like the Tab, the Thrive, the Xoom, etc.)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I got the Slider about 3 weeks ago and I have no issues with the keyboard or the angle of the screen even when its on my lap. It might be heavier and thicker but I find the keyboard and USB port very handy. For me, I chose it over the transformer since the docking station + tablet would be heavier and the USB ports are on the dock. I would probably end up carrying both everywhere with me so might as well go for the slider.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    The minute you move up to 9 or 10 inches for a tablet, you've accepted you'll be carring 2 or 3 lbs anyway. Even the iPad doubles in weight when you put it in a case. The Slider is great if you'll always have a desk/table to set it up on. I find mine great for meetings around a big conference table. You can still hold it as a tablet when no table is around. Yet if my day is on foot and I just need to be connected with an easy way to look up info, a 4.3" phone or 7" tablet is easily enough. A 7" tablet is 1/2 the size of an ipad, but still a big lump to hang on yourself easily. I'm thinking about a jacket with a kangaroo pouch in front, or an underarm pocket many would hide their gun in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links