Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BubbaHotepUK

Thread: How are eBooks on this tablet?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How are eBooks on this tablet?

Not sure if many people like reading on this forum.

I just bought a TF101 and is being shipped out Monday. I have an Amazon prime account and I'm allowed to rent books for free ( 1 at a time).

This will be my first tablet and I was wondering how reading ebooks is on this tablet.

Any advice is welcome.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    343 times
    The TF is a great reading experience. It's as close to a book as you can get without paper. But your pages are changeable. You can customize your text size and fonts, backgrounds, brightness. I still like my e-ink for day reading. You can't beat a tablet for night reading. I can't help you on how to open your rented books- didn't even know they did that. Library lending yes. Although I haven't tried it on my TF. Hope you are happy with your tablet for reading. Just play with your settings till you like what you see.

And welcome to the forum!
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    It's great reading books on the TF - but not in bright sunlight (way too much glare on any LCD device). Devices that use e-Ink work much better for reading outdoors in bright light - they use much less energy, but you'd need another source of light if you want to read in low-light or in the dark.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the quick reply. I may be wrong (about renting) I had a friend tell me this over the phone last night.

Hopefully I enjoy it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    343 times
    If you need help loading your books, just search for putting ebooks on the TF. There are several threads about it.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times
    Personally, I find the TF too big for long periods of book reading, in that respect my old Galaxy Tab 7" is way better, being almost exactly the same size & weight as a paperback.

On the other hand, the TF is peerless when it comes to magazines, the extra resolution & bright screen makes a huge difference.
    W8WCA likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times
    I just returned a Kindle Fire as my wife liked the TF better for reading

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I read on mine all the time and am comfortable with it. I've heard the "too long" criticism before but not having used a shorter tablet, I can't compare them. My library has electronic media lending. I'm somewhat home bound and it works out great for me.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    I use the TF with the Kindle app. I like it, but my wife's Kindle is much easier on the eyes. I can't seem to adjust the back lighting on the TF where it doesn't hurt my eyes after awhile. This is the case with me and any back lighted screen.
    If you do a lot of reading and want to go electronic, I would favor the kindle (or the like) with e-ink. The new ones are real light and easy on the eyes, and the battery lasts for a month. If you are traveling and don't want to take a bunch of devices, you can get the kindle app as well and have your books on the TF.
    Asus TF101 16G (B50K) + Dock (B80K)
    ICS -

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've recently got into reading ebooks in the mornings (with days getting shorter and colder I need something to whisk me away from here!)The Kindle app is pretty good but personally i prefer to use Mantano. I have a lot of .epub files on my home PC (i went on a slight binge and ended up with about 2000 of them) and the way Mantano deals with them is brilliant! The library system is fluid and book load times are pretty good. The only problem is that it doesn't recognize .mobi formats (which is what the kindle uses) but using something like Calibre its pretty easy to convert them to .epubs. There are other ebook readers out there but from my experience they either had performance issues or just didn't look very nice (IMO).

A lot of people have talked about the screen glare you can get with LCD screen in daylight, but as I travel on the tube a lot its not really a problem.

And I must confess I still love the looks I get when sitting next to people with iPads and kindles and I just casually whip out the TF and remove it from the dock and start reading, there books must be really boring because they always seem to be looking over my shoulder trying to have a read of mine.

Ads