Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

PDF Annotations: ezPDF Reader or RepliGo Reader?

Greetings!
    I'm about to start using the TF for one of the biggest reasons I ended up buying it, which is taking notes during classes. As most of my classes offer PDF files instead of textbooks, it would be great to take notes directly on the PDFs and looking around in the market I found that both ezPDF and RepliGo will do just that. Which one do you think it's best, and why? I don't mind the difference in price and I won't mind if I'll have to copy the PDF files to Google Docs myself, I just want to go for the one that has the best reading & annotation capabilities.

Thanks!

EDIT: if there is any difference between the two apps when saving files, noting which one will increase the PDF's size the least would be helpful. Thanks!
    Last edited by kthxbye; 11-21-2011 at 05:41 AM.
    ASUS Transformer 32GB + Docking
    HTC Desire Z

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hi, good to see you make good use of your tablet. I would stick with pro version of ezPDF, much better annotations, frequent updates than Repligo. The only reason I had Repligo was for its night mode, but eZPDF included that in their recent updates. I assure you that you will not be disappointed.
    -- TK

'Never outshine your master' - Machiavelli
    ASUS TF101- 16GB +32GB mSD
    BK6xx
    OS 3.2
    Kernel - 2.6.36.3

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    EZpdf can bookmark a page while repligo can't. Repligo can render the pdf 100 times faster, even ridiculously big pdf files that contain 2000+ pages, while EZpdf can't. I have both and they each serve their purpose well.

EZpdf has a bug that will randomly freeze after long term use. This has caused me to force a restart or kill task. Probably a memory bleed.

Overall, if you have both and use them side by side you will know what I mean. EZpdf has more features, but it's just clunky to use. Repligo will render texts and images 100 times faster. I've found myself using repligo 90% of the time and only use EZpdf for bookmark purposes.

PS - For what I do, I have regularly use repligo to open up huge pdf files for references. Those ASTM and ACI manuals are annoyingly big.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Don't forget Mantano reader can annotate and bookmark PDF files as well (it can also read epub files). I haven't compared how well it does compared to EzPDF or Repligo with regards to annotation, but I think Mantano has the easiest bookmarking system.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thank you for the suggestions. I've tried the free version of Mantano Reader (and qPDF too) but both seemed not too immediate to use - I need to have very quick commands at hand to take notes if the teacher decides to speed up on a slide or two.
    I also tried ezPDF but opted out within the 15 minutes period because, I have to agree with goodintentions, it felt "clunky". Also the possibility of it crashing (albeit very small, I take it) is kind of a risk.
    In the end I tried RepliGo and again I'm in agreement with goodintentions, it gave a very good first impression and its ease-of-use, quickly accessible edit options made a keeper out of it. 3.99€ is a bit more than the average cost for paid applications but really, it's still just 3.99€ for an app I'll use almost daily.

(PS: Note that my impressions on qPDF, Mantano and ezPDF were all tied to a max usage time of 15 minutes, so they may not be - and likely aren't - precise or 100% correct. It's just that I opened RepliGo, tried to edit a PDF file with a few annotations, highlighting, underline etc and it felt "right".)

Now let's put it to use!
    ASUS Transformer 32GB + Docking
    HTC Desire Z

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Apparently, there's a Foxit PDF Reader for Android now. I love Foxit on the desktop - small, fast, light. Now sure where you can get it - seems it comes bundled with devices.

Foxit Mobile PDF Reader for Android - Overview - Foxit Software

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by solara View Post
    Don't forget Mantano reader can annotate and bookmark PDF files as well (it can also read epub files). I haven't compared how well it does compared to EzPDF or Repligo with regards to annotation, but I think Mantano has the easiest bookmarking system.
    I don't know how I missed mantano. Will get it and compare. Stand by for comparison.

Gir
    Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I also use repligo for large pdfs.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kthxbye View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions. I've tried the free version of Mantano Reader (and qPDF too) but both seemed not too immediate to use - I need to have very quick commands at hand to take notes if the teacher decides to speed up on a slide or two.
    I also tried ezPDF but opted out within the 15 minutes period because, I have to agree with goodintentions, it felt "clunky". Also the possibility of it crashing (albeit very small, I take it) is kind of a risk.
    In the end I tried RepliGo and again I'm in agreement with goodintentions, it gave a very good first impression and its ease-of-use, quickly accessible edit options made a keeper out of it. 3.99€ is a bit more than the average cost for paid applications but really, it's still just 3.99€ for an app I'll use almost daily.

(PS: Note that my impressions on qPDF, Mantano and ezPDF were all tied to a max usage time of 15 minutes, so they may not be - and likely aren't - precise or 100% correct. It's just that I opened RepliGo, tried to edit a PDF file with a few annotations, highlighting, underline etc and it felt "right".)

Now let's put it to use!
    I went ahead and bought mantano this morning. Been using it all day to get a feel for it. After a day of use, I'll tell you this. It's got a lot of potential, but at the moment it sucks. Why?

It does a wonderful job at opening and rendering large pdf files. So, that's a plus. But you can't actually write hand written notes onto the document. What you have to do is write some stuff on there and then save as "notes" that are attached to the page. Meaning, you won't see these "notes" right on the page. You will have to open up the notes to read what you wrote. To me, this is completely useless.

I've been sending requests after requests to the dev of repligo asking them to add bookmarking as a feature in their next updates. Hopefully, they will.

Right now, the only reason I even use ezpdf is to bookmark pages I need to. Once repligo has bookmarking feature, it will definitely be complete.

Trust me, guys, I know my stuff.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    @goodintentions

For pure reading, rendering speed, and especially reflowing text, Mantano is my favorite. I find it is easier and faster to bookmark in Mantano than ezPDF (has a bookmark icon in upper right corner - one press to bookmark, two presses to jump to any bookmark).

I never use the Annotation, but if you want to suggest improvements, I'm sure the developers would love the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads