Thread: My Library

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    7 times

My Library

My Library now fails to start. I get 'The application MY Library (process com.asus.reader) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.' Force Close.

This happens every time I try to start it.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

If I clear the cache will I lose all the books? I have 29MB in the cache and 1.71MB in the SD card so I imagine the answer is yes.
    Last edited by bertie11; 10-18-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't answer why its stopping, but the answer to your second question "If I clear the cache will I lose all the books?" is NO. Your books are safe and you can go ahead and stop the program and clear the cache.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for that. I cleared the cache but I still get the above message! Where is the book data kept then if not in the cache?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    343 times
    Hi Bertie- Someone from the help section should be by. In the meantime, why don't you do a hard reset. See if that helps.

Hard Reset:- if you have a dock, be sure to connect before hard resetting!

Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off and Press and Hold the power button and the "Down" volume button together for 6-10 seconds and let them both go at the same time.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android".

Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Boot" appears in the list near the top of the screens and just press and release the "Down" volume button again and let it reboot. If you own the dock be sure and do this with the dock connected.
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    7 times
    I tried the cold boot twice but I still get the above message! I did find it fiddly but I did see 'cold booting Linux' so I guess it happened!

I found some of the books in File Manager\sdcard and I wondered about deleting them to see if that helps, but it doesn't show all of the books anyway so I don't know where they are.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bertie11 View Post
    My Library now fails to start. I get 'The application MY Library (process com.asus.reader) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.' Force Close.

This happens every time I try to start it.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

If I clear the cache will I lose all the books? I have 29MB in the cache and 1.71MB in the SD card so I imagine the answer is yes.
    Hi Bertie,

I had an issue with My Library - not quite the same as yours, but this is how I resolved it. In sorting it out I realised that all My Library actually does is scan the tf for books, pdfs etc that it recognises & then displays them for you to select. It even displays Kindle titles & if you select them from the screen, Kindle opens & you read from the Kindle app, not the My Library app.

Why tell you this? Well the way I resolved my issue was to go to settings, applications, all - scroll down to My Library & force close it, clear the cache, clear all data & then do a hard reset. When I reopened My Library after that, it rescanned the tf and rebuilt its library & I had no problems after that.

So I can confidently say that you could do the same & not risk loosing any of your books or docs. Actually tho, I have to say that it is this global nature of My Library that has put me off using it. I can't get it to sub categorise its Library as I can in Aldiko, for example. So unless I want to read in 2 page landscape format, or have a book read to me, I no longer use it as my e-reader of choice.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by janner43; 10-19-2011 at 02:41 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I had a similar problem and it turned out that one of the books was not recognized correctly and that caused MyLibrary to crash as you described. After removing that particular book it worked again.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    7 times
    Hi Janner43, thanks for the input.

I followed your instructions and My Library fired up OK and quickly filled the screen with a lot of unrecognised stuff which morphed into recognisable documents, presumably from my Cloud backup (?). I saw some of my books there but then the Library crashed again with the same error (above). On the basis that Library is crashing because of what is in it, I deleted 4 books that I found in File Manager but I don't know where to look for the rest so I'm trying to empty the whole lot out and start again. I assume that if I use another reader I won't be able to get rid of My Library completely?

I then followed your instructions again and the same thing happened, Library populated but then crashed again. I'm still assuming that one or more of the remaining books is causing the problem but I don't know where to look for them.

gerzson, hi,

Trouble is, as it crashes I can't get to the books unless I can find out where the rest are stored!

I've just fitted a 16gb microsd card and I plan to put books etc. on that
    janner43 likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bertie11 View Post
    Hi Janner43, thanks for the input.

I followed your instructions and My Library fired up OK and quickly filled the screen with a lot of unrecognised stuff which morphed into recognisable documents, presumably from my Cloud backup (?). I saw some of my books there but then the Library crashed again with the same error (above). On the basis that Library is crashing because of what is in it, I deleted 4 books that I found in File Manager but I don't know where to look for the rest so I'm trying to empty the whole lot out and start again. I assume that if I use another reader I won't be able to get rid of My Library completely?

I then followed your instructions again and the same thing happened, Library populated but then crashed again. I'm still assuming that one or more of the remaining books is causing the problem but I don't know where to look for them.

gerzson, hi,

Trouble is, as it crashes I can't get to the books unless I can find out where the rest are stored!

I've just fitted a 16gb microsd card and I plan to put books etc. on that
    Hi Bertie.
    I think we may be on to the solution here. It looks as if a book or similar is messing up ML. I would...
    1. move - not copy - all the epubs, pdfs, txt, kindle, etc etc files you can find to your sd card (noting where they came from so you can eventually replace them) and then remove it
    2. clear everything from ML as described previously
    3. By gradual process, copy the epubs, pdfs, txt, kinde etc back again starting ML each time until it falls over - then you will be able to track which file is causing the problem.

If, having removed everything, ML still shows other books, docs etc then you will know what others to look for if it crashes once you have removed all the files you can find. A bit long winded, I know, but that is the trouble with "logical" aka binary systems

If you use another ereader, (I use Aldiko, Adobe reader & Kindle) ML will still be there, but if you clear the cache & all the data from it and then don't run it, it won't be using much space, so you could ignore it if you wanted to.

PS I have just discovered how to categorise in ML! The little "pen" icon at the top in the middle allows the creation of other categories. I might look at it again now - if I can work out how to save those categories in some form of backup!
    Last edited by janner43; 10-19-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: additions

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My books go into Downloads in Apps so I can delete them from there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads