Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times

Tablet + Playto + Roku = Cool

My newest favorite app is the Playto. Can stream from Playto (Playto has Online Content channels) thru Roku to Samung Tv. No 15 foot hdmi cable connect Also stream computer content (from Windows Media server) thru Roku to TV. I've not only cut the Time Warner cable cord, I've cut the hdmi cord. Hope this works for others as well as it has for me. Shrew

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    Just to update. With this app streaming content from my computer I can then power off the tablet, saving battery while it streams entire movie, thru Roku to Tv. Maybe it's just me but I find that pretty exciting.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    AMEN! Bought it a few days ago. I'm curious though if there's a way to add more sources than the ones they have, even though what they do have in the online section is pretty good by itself. It's a must have with the roku, along with playon and plex.

I have an old school roku 1. wish there was a way to bypass it's upper memory limit to add more channels through playto, etc. Does playto work with xmbc? That might be an option I have not investigated yet.

i used to play around with noknok before they stopped working on it completely. That thing was a dlna server. Wondering if other servers like that might be possible with playto. If so, what works, and what's the cpu usage on em? If i remember correctly a few years ago when I tried messing around with some p2p tv programs it was very hard on the cpu.
    Last edited by mastermesh; 12-11-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    Yes on the xmbc. On GooglePlay for this app click on overview tab. This:
    PlayTo also seamlessly discovers computers or other network devices supporting UPnP, DLNA containing your personal videos, photos and music and browse and play them on your tablet/smartphone or stream them to your TV including some popular media servers like TVersity, Plex Media Server (v0.9.6.0 and above), Serviio, Majestic, XBMC, Twonky, Windows Media Player, PS3 Media Server, Iomega, etc.

and other pertinent info can be found. They are not superfast on the email replies, but they did get back with me on a few questions.
    Mastermesh what online content does Plex offer that is different than Playto? Just wondering if there would be much difference. Shrew

Ads