Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Google Maps Update - "Save maps for offline use"

Anyone played around with this feature yet? My Google Maps just updated with this being the only new feature. If it actually works, this could be huge - because the big drawback to using gmaps to navigate is that you need to be online to actually navigate (impossible with Wifi only tablets).

I hate the idea of having to use other apps to navigate with because they are all almost always much more expensive than using (free) google maps, have much worse interface, lack in features, etc. Google maps is the best "map" app by far IMO (sans some buggyness it occasionally shows), but it sucks that you can't actually use the GPS features in your TF to navigate with it due to Maps requring internet access in order to navigate. But now, we can! maybe.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1060 times
    Moved thread to Applications. Please post in the correct forum. Thanks.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    148 times
    Yes, I've used the "pre-cache maps" feature, but it's hardly perfect. If you have to power-off, then on, your device--all too often--erases the pre-cache. I do not know why.

But for a daily around-the-city driving, it's reasonably handy. Unfortunately, you cannot pre-cache any searches-- you must have Internet Connectivity to do any address/location searches.

The only thing that pre-caching does for you, really? Is give you a lovely electronic map you can scroll around on, manually. Not unlike the paper maps it is replacing, come to think of it.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    In prior updates, one could cache 10 mile sections of Google maps. Is the latest update a further enhancement to the previouse cache feature?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    In prior updates, one could cache 10 mile sections of Google maps. Is the latest update a further enhancement to the previouse cache feature?
    I would hope so-- pre-caching the maps was kinda clumsy at best (I thought).

Maybe the update lets that happen automatically? Hopefully someone will be able to provide more information, here.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Pre-caching maps before this update worked so well. I was able to cache all of NY, and I don't believe there was a limit. Now, only 80mb? This sucks! What a step backwards, I'd much rather go back to an older version.
    Phone: HTC Inspire 4G
    Tab: ASUS Transformer Prime 32GB w/dock

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltine713 View Post
    Pre-caching maps before this update worked so well. I was able to cache all of NY, and I don't believe there was a limit. Now, only 80mb? This sucks! What a step backwards, I'd much rather go back to an older version.
    Goto apps and uninstall the updates.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    Tab 32 GB + Dock was mine now my wife's
    LG Optimus V
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by korjax View Post
    Anyone played around with this feature yet? My Google Maps just updated with this being the only new feature. If it actually works, this could be huge - because the big drawback to using gmaps to navigate is that you need to be online to actually navigate (impossible with Wifi only tablets).

I hate the idea of having to use other apps to navigate with because they are all almost always much more expensive than using (free) google maps, have much worse interface, lack in features, etc. Google maps is the best "map" app by far IMO (sans some buggyness it occasionally shows), but it sucks that you can't actually use the GPS features in your TF to navigate with it due to Maps requring internet access in order to navigate. But now, we can! maybe.
    It's not impossible to have internet on a wifi tablet in your car. I use tethering from my Samsung infuse for the tablet navigation all the time. It works great.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    To the OP: You don't need data to navigate. Just pre-cache where you need to go, and go to Google Navigate while still on data. Then you can move away from Wifi or whatever and the GPS will guide you....well maybe not on the Prime, but other devices that have a good GPS.
    Phone: HTC Inspire 4G
    Tab: ASUS Transformer Prime 32GB w/dock

Ads