Thread: Folder Organisation for Pictures

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times

Folder Organisation for Pictures

First of all a confession - I am a librarian!

My pictures on my PC are strictly organised into folders and, within those folders, sub folders e.g. Under the main folder Egypt I have subfolders such as Gaza, Aswan, Karnak etc. My pictures are then filed under these folders. Recently I have moved the folders exactly as they are on my PC to my Asus Transformer. Under Astro File manager the folders appear as on my PC. As soon as I go to look at my photos in either Gallery or QuickPic they have lost my carefully worked out folder organisation - a librarian's nightmare!! I cannot fully comprehend what the apps have done, but it looks as if subfolders have come out of the main folders and stand on their own. I do understand I can create new folders within the apps, but why should I need to do that when I have already painfully created my folders.

If anyone has a similar issue and resolved it I will be very grateful to hear the resolution or maybe there is another app that simply keeps the original folder organisation of the picture owner!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2274 times
    Hi. I suggest spending some more time on this in QuickPic - *I think* you will be able to solve the problem within its settings for excluded & included folders & a "long press" on folders within the app.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    I've had a longer look at this and I think I can see what's happening. QuickPic seems to only display folders and sub folders which have content. So in my example above on Egypt the main folder Egypt has no images as everything goes into sub folders. Quick Pic, therefore, ignores the main folder pulls out the sub folders, which are then sorted by name ascend, path ascend or date descend. Problem is that the sub folders for Egypt are sprerad then mixed in with other folders and sub folders on other subjects and locations which I have imported.

Unless I have misunderstood I cannot see any way that a long press does anything I'm afraid - e.g. if I exclude a subfolder I simply lose its content, since there is no main folder itself as it has not been imported due to no content.

I can see what the app is doing, sadly it does not provide me with what I want. The only solution it seems to me is to take out sub folders and stream all the content into the main folder. Not perfect, but I cannot see any alternative.

Is it worth me contacting QuickPic do you thinK?

Thanks for your reply - appreciated.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Here's another option for you. Install file manager HD. Use that.

Instead of using an app to view your photos via folders and sub folders, use file manager HD. Browse around just like you would on your PC. File manager HD will display a thumb nail of your image. When you want to view something, simply press on it.

I'll do some testings later today with some photo apps and will get back to you later. With all the free apps on market, I'm sure one will fit your needs.

Added by edit.

The apps are organizing your photos according to the dates of creation. I know what you mean. I organize all my music into folders and subfolders, too. The music app that comes with android is a nightmare for someone like me. I use music for pad/phone because it's got the option to add into playlist based on folders and subfolders, not the mp3's labels.

Added by edit again.

File manager HD gives you the option to bookmark a specific folder or folders. The bookmarks appear on the left side. I bookmark all the folders that I use regularly, so I don't have to navigate to it every time.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 02-20-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2274 times
    Quote Originally Posted by morrig47 View Post
    I've had a longer look at this and I think I can see what's happening. QuickPic seems to only display folders and sub folders which have content. So in my example above on Egypt the main folder Egypt has no images as everything goes into sub folders. Quick Pic, therefore, ignores the main folder pulls out the sub folders, which are then sorted by name ascend, path ascend or date descend. Problem is that the sub folders for Egypt are sprerad then mixed in with other folders and sub folders on other subjects and locations which I have imported.

Unless I have misunderstood I cannot see any way that a long press does anything I'm afraid - e.g. if I exclude a subfolder I simply lose its content, since there is no main folder itself as it has not been imported due to no content.

I can see what the app is doing, sadly it does not provide me with what I want. The only solution it seems to me is to take out sub folders and stream all the content into the main folder. Not perfect, but I cannot see any alternative.

Is it worth me contacting QuickPic do you thinK?

Thanks for your reply - appreciated.
    Yes, I see what you mean. You could do a workaround with an "emptyfolder.jpg" image perhaps?

I do think it is worth contacting the developer, yes.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    Many thanks goodintentions and janner43 - some really useful suggestions and many thanks for helping out!

Janner43 - Something along the lines of your suggestion, I did create a new folder within Quickpic, but there does not then seem to be a way of dragging the sub folders into the new folder. I even copied them to the desktop,but no go.

goodintentions - I tried your suggestion with Astro which, I use as my file manager - you are absolutely spot on - it does work that way. It is not a full replacemnt for the picture apps, but at least they keep the folder organisation. If you do find soemthing that works I would be very grateful. Maybe we need a librarian to design an app!!

I will post an email to Quickpic and if I get somewher I will post the result here.

Thanks again

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    149 times
    Goodintentions suggestion is the best way to view photos the way you want, by folder, this is also the way I like to view them also

I use ESfile explorer, it has a photo viewer built in. It lets you set bookmarks/favorites for folders or files,
    Set a bookmark for the Egypt folder, when you click on it you see all your subfolders, click on the one you want and then a photo, select to use ES photo viewer.
    The photo is displayed along with thumbnails of all the other photos

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1051 times
    ...this may be slightly off topic, but I bet a librarian has a really tidy silverware drawer.

Quickpick, I had some angry words with that program myself. Being code, it didn't listen.
    I'm trying different photo apps myself....if I come up with something folderfriendly, I'll revisit & letya know.
    Goodluck.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    kgragert

Excellent - that will do me nicely!!

I will post Quickpic in any case, as it does seem to be seen as a kind of "best buy". Would be interesting to see what they say and maybe get them to think about a resolution.

Once again many thanks to everyone. Made my day!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    A very quick response from the developer - very impressed.

"Yes, because almost all the gallery apps will show flat mode of the folders...maybe I will give you a explorer mode in the future, thanks"

So there is certainly hope and well worth bringing it to their attention. In the meantime ESfile explorer has certainly helped resolve my issue.

Thanks again to everyone who posted
    janner43 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads