Thread: [WARNING] Polaris Office Bug

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    496 times

[WARNING] Polaris Office Bug

There is a major bug with polaris office. The bug strikes at random. Basically speaking, you could be typing your lap report or business paper or english paper and all of the sudden BOOM the file is corrupted beyond repair and all your work is lost. There have been many reports, but notably several of them were of substantial loss, like someone's 30 page lab report. I've used every trick in the book to attempt to recover one of these corrupted files, and I assure you these files are truly unrecoverable. Polaris has replaced the content with jibberish data.

The kicker is this. The bug strikes may be 1 out of 100 times you use the polaris, so chances are you will not encounter this bug until later when you actually have something important.

So, please, stay away from polaris like the plague. Custom rom makers have taken polaris out of their custom roms because of this issue.

Here are a list of good office apps from market for you to get.

-Kingsoft (free but works wonderfully well)
    -Thinkfree (paid - best for excel, the only office app that wil show pictures, graphs, everything in excel)
    -Android Office (paid - the only one in the market with a spell checker)
    -Doc2Go (paid)
    -Office Suite Pro 5 (paid)

I'll add more later. These are just some off the top of my head.

Just remember, the next time 1 out of 100 times the polaris bug strike could be your 50 page love letter to your girl friend.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 01-30-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    393 times
    Sticky'd

TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    There is a major bug with polaris office. The bug strikes at random. Basically speaking, you could be typing your lap report or business paper or english paper and all of the sudden BOOM the file is corrupted beyond repair and all your work is lost. There have been many reports, but notably several of them were of substantial loss, like someone's 30 page lab report. I've used every trick in the book to attempt to recover one of these corrupted files, and I assure you these files are truly unrecoverable. Polaris has replaced the content with jibberish data.

The kicker is this. The bug strikes may be 1 out of 100 times you use the polaris, so chances are you will not encounter this bug until later when you actually have something important.

So, please, stay away from polaris like the plague. Custom rom makers have taken polaris out of their custom roms because of this issue.

Here are a list of good office apps from market for you to get.

-Kingsoft (free but works wonderfully well)
    -Thinkfree (paid - best for excel, the only office app that wil show pictures, graphs, everything in excel)
    -Android Office (paid - the only one in the market with a spell checker)
    -Doc2Go (paid)
    -Office Suite Pro 5 (paid)

I'll add more later. These are just some off the top of my head.

Just remember, the next time 1 out of 100 times the polaris bug strike could be your 50 page love letter to your girl friend.
    Has anyone reported this to whoever develops Polaris? Maybe they can fix the bug. I've been using it, but haven't run into any problems yet. Of course, if I spent an hour and a half taking detailed meeting notes with a client, then came back and found they were gibberish, I'd be a little...perturbed.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    33 times
    Officesuite has an awesome recovery option when it crashes (it seldomly crashes).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks! i joined this forum yesterday before of this exact issue! luckily i only lost 1 page of notes
    now just download kingsoft pro, currently for free

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Or boyfriend/or partner?

Not everybody on this forum is male, or has a girlfriend or indeed has a partner
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    744 times
    Office Suite Pro 5 is the only app I've tried so far that allows for "arrow" column movement when typing in text or numbers in an Excel document. In all of these apps you can press the "enter" key to move down a row but a lot of times I want to move across a column to enter new data but the right/left "arrow" keys on my keyboard don't cause any movement while entering data into a cell except in Office Suite Pro 5.

I know this feature doesn't work in Polaris or DocstoGo. Not sure about the others but for us heavy Excel users it is priceless!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    496 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
    Or boyfriend/or partner?

Not everybody on this forum is male, or has a girlfriend or indeed has a partner
    No, I mean exactly that, a girl friend. Only a straight female would demand that much attention from a boy friend.

*dodges some eggs*

I know. I've dated straight guys, gay guys, sexually confused guys, and recently dated a straight female. I've never had to work so hard in my life.

*dodges some more eggs*

Anyway, back to topic. What's annoying about this bug is it's hard to replicate the result. It seems to strike at random. I haven't figured out the factors that prompted this. It's happened to me a couple times. Nothing important, though. At first, I was puzzled by it. But lightly brushed it off. Then I started seeing some people reporting losing entire papers. One guy said he lost like 12 pages of his lab report. This was when an alarm went off in my head. Then more and more people reported having the same issue, both here and xda.

The problem with reporting this to the polaris devs is that it's not easily replicated at will. The bug strikes at random, remember?

There was another app that had a weird behavior randomly. For weeks, I kept poking the dev about the behavior, and for weeks, he kept saying he tried to replicate the problem but couldn't. That's the problem with some of these bugs. They strike seemingly at random. I finally was able to figure out the exact conditions when the bug occurred and reported it. He finally admitted there was a bug, it was a regressive problem(for those who are into programming).

The polaris bug is even worse. After months, I still haven't figured out the exact conditions for the bug to show. Hard to get the devs to believe if we can't tell them exactly how to reproduce the bug.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 01-30-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    not using a transformer (using galaxy tab 8.9) but have had problems with Polaris....it seems to be when opening word 2010 file and then saving it...for me, it's been a format issue...it splits words across lines or corrupts the file so can't open except on polaris...i've been using quickoffice pro hd (expensive but stable)...I've tried a bunch and they all have shortcomings...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I wonder if this is related to an issue I just had - I opened a .doc in polaris, took meeting minutes, and when I emailed my .doc back to my desktop, it had all kinds of problems. It was editable, but hyphenation was irrepairably gone, and weirdly so. E.g.
    When I reache
    d the end of a
    line, it would j
    ust chop my
    words up.

I messed with the page layout options, hyphenation, every which way and couldn't get it to work. I eventually gave up and retyped the &$*@ thing in a new document.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads