Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: [WARNING] Polaris Office Bug

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the heads up - I'm writing a book using it and would be devasted to lose that! TYY

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    Are you typing the whole book on the TF keyboard dock ? How you've been doin' so far? I think that wouldn't be a nice experience

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    OK I've had my TF with dock for only 5 days. I'm not the best typist in the world, can get 45-50 wpm on a full size kb but only managed to squeeze out 30-35 with the TF dock. Guess it takes some time to get used to...

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Understandable. The #1 mistake almost all people make whenever they pick up something new is try to use it like something old. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people complain that the TF doesn't feel like a laptop. To me, this is like buying a motorcycle and then complain that it doesn't feel like driving a car.
    mindyrap and amdaley like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've found this thread doing a search on polaris
    I have a galaxy s2 and it worked fine til I updated the phone accurate
    now it won't open powerpoint or excel documents at all, just force closes all the time
    I wondered if it needed updating
    those of you who've had this problem, do you think I should just get rid and buy another office version? looking at quick office maybe
    it seems to still work on my tab, but not my phone
    and do you have to pay twice for an app? once for phone and once for tab?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by littleduck View Post
    I've found this thread doing a search on polaris
    I have a galaxy s2 and it worked fine til I updated the phone accurate
    now it won't open powerpoint or excel documents at all, just force closes all the time
    I wondered if it needed updating
    those of you who've had this problem, do you think I should just get rid and buy another office version? looking at quick office maybe
    it seems to still work on my tab, but not my phone
    and do you have to pay twice for an app? once for phone and once for tab?
    Once you bought it, it's yours forever.

Here's the thing, though. Android isn't apple. iOS on the ipad is just a phone OS. That's why everything is oversized on the ipad. And that's also why apps work the same on both phone and tablet for them.

If you want one app to fit all between tablets and phones, you should go with the i-devices. Over here on this side of the fence. Just look at your polaris office on your phone and imagine the same thing on your tablet with no modification of proportions or settings and options.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My problem is as follows.

When i compose a doc in POff. save it then open it in MSWord. The paragraphs are all messed up. Words are not recognized as words and do not stay as one at the end of a line.

ie

The dog and the ca
    t were in the yard t
    hey were playing wi
    th each other.

Like this.

Gonna try Kingsoft for now and take a look at the others.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I was initially pretty impressed with OfficeSuite Pro 5, appreciating the 30 day free trial, and especially liking the ability to read, edit and save google doc files, and remote files in Dropbox. I just discovered, however, that the word module is pathetic in generating and editing tables. It seems to treat all tables as full page width, and evenly distributes columns. Also, It shows a small word document that was generated in Polaris as corrupted, but Word opens the same file with no problem. If I can't resolve the OfficeSuite problems with tables, I will probably have to drop it completely.
    Last edited by vicw; 02-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yesterday I was working on a very simple (15 slides, text only) PowerPoint document, and Polaris corrupted the file. Every time I tried to load it in, Polaris claimed there wasn't enough memory for the document (the actual file was less than 70K, and I had over 500 MB free memory.) The backup was corrupted as well. I tried every office suite I could find to open the document... Kingsoft was the only suite that was able to open the file, and it showed that one of the slides was blank. Kingsoft at least allowed me to present at the meeting I was going to (although rendering/layout was poor.) Later I opened the document in MS PowerPoint, which reported that it was corrupt and volunteered to fix it... which it did. The fixed document could be opened in Polaris again.

That would be enough for me to not try Polaris again, but I also found that selecting text using the Pime's keyboard dock was almost impossible. Cutting/pasting text was very difficult. And there was no easy way to promote/demote bullets (change levels). I've created many presentations on mobile devices in the past, and selecting text, cut/paste, and moving bullets around and promoting/demoting them is most most basic functionality.

Of the other office suites I tried, I found several would not easily access the micro SD card, much less an SD card inserted into the dock, or a USB memory stick.

The best of the office suites I tried was OfficeSuite Pro. It now sits prominently on my desktop, and Polaris has been swiped away to the trash bin.
    mindyrap likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, #databubble, for sharing your bad experience with the Polaris corruption issue. I've been looking for alternative app suites, mostly because of that reported bug, and have been quite impressed with OfficeSuite Pro, but I discovered that the table generation and resizing mechanism in the word module is very poor. I was able to create tables, but they were invariably full width, with each column equal in width, and no way that I could figure out to change them. I also found that documents with tables that were created in Word, and opened in OfficeSuite resized the tables inappropriately. Have you had similar experience regarding tables, or have you been able to create and manage them successfully?

I haven't been able to test any of the other app suites yet, since unlike OfficeSuite they offer no trial period and require purchase up front, but judging from their help files, it doesn't look to me that any of them will provide any elegance in the table area, if they offer the capability at all. If I could resolve tables in OfficeSuite, I would happily settle into it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads