Thread: [WARNING] Polaris Office Bug

GGS
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Has anyone ever had a response from Polaris?

Months ago - so long I've forgotten the issue - I tried to reach them; to no avail.

Too many other outstanding choices. Why Asus sticks with Polaris is a puzzle.
    Asus Transformer TF101B1 (32 GB) & Docking Station (since July 2011 - and still learning)
    HTC EVO 4G (Sprint; since June 2010); unlimited data; still nothing better on the market
    HP Desktops (2), very plain and fairly old, running WinXP :>}

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for the heads up. Guess my thought of keeping some extra productivity apps shall pay off.
    *Asus Transformer TF201 C2O w/Dock Champagne Gold -> Eos Nightlies - Cornerstone
    *Samsung Galaxy II GT-19100M -> Resurrection Remix 2.5.3

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Read this on xda also indeed, so i froze polaris and started using kingsoft (I mostly type documents i dont use spreadsheets) and it is awesome and free

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I crossed Polaris Office off my Christmas Card list within days of getting my TF101. I found that if I created (or modified) a file on Polaris and then tried to edit it on proper Microsoft Office, it would only open in Protected Mode, and sometimes wouldn't open at all on my PDA (an increasingly geriatric Acer N310 running Windows Mobile 5). I swear by either Docs2Go or Kingsoft Office nowadays, with KSO nosing ahead.

If either could fix the load/save from removable storage problem...

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JMarkOates View Post
    I crossed Polaris Office off my Christmas Card list within days of getting my TF101. I found that if I created (or modified) a file on Polaris and then tried to edit it on proper Microsoft Office, it would only open in Protected Mode, and sometimes wouldn't open at all on my PDA (an increasingly geriatric Acer N310 running Windows Mobile 5). I swear by either Docs2Go or Kingsoft Office nowadays, with KSO nosing ahead.

I've had the same problem....though I just click to tell Office that the file comes from a trusted source, and it lets me proceed normally.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    496 times

Use file manager hd to navigate to your file in removable, press on it, and choose the office app of your choice. When save, just press save and it should automatically save to it's current location (the removable drive).

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    744 times

Look at Office Suite in the Market. They have a free version and I set up 2 folders on my Micro SD card called Home and Office. I have Word and Excel docs in both folders. Office Suite opens those files, edits those files, and then saves those files. So that should be the answer to your issue.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    There is a major bug with polaris office. The bug strikes at random. Basically speaking, you could be typing your lap report or business paper or english paper and all of the sudden BOOM the file is corrupted beyond repair and all your work is lost. There have been many reports, but notably several of them were of substantial loss, like someone's 30 page lab report. I've used every trick in the book to attempt to recover one of these corrupted files, and I assure you these files are truly unrecoverable. Polaris has replaced the content with jibberish data.

The kicker is this. The bug strikes may be 1 out of 100 times you use the polaris, so chances are you will not encounter this bug until later when you actually have something important.

So, please, stay away from polaris like the plague. Custom rom makers have taken polaris out of their custom roms because of this issue.

Here are a list of good office apps from market for you to get.

-Kingsoft (free but works wonderfully well)
    -Thinkfree (paid - best for excel, the only office app that wil show pictures, graphs, everything in excel)
    -Android Office (paid - the only one in the market with a spell checker)
    -Doc2Go (paid)
    -Office Suite Pro 5 (paid)

I'll add more later. These are just some off the top of my head.

Just remember, the next time 1 out of 100 times the polaris bug strike could be your 50 page love letter to your girl friend.
    I think this may have something to do with Autosave function. I haven't got a TF yet (about to get one soon) and have never used Polaris before (obviously). Dunno if this app has that function or not, but things like this are likely occured when the app is trying to save a (large) document in semi-supported formats.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for the advice - I have downloaded Kingsoft office and it looks great, but I didn't realise it would bring in all my files from Polaris. Can I use it to
    start afresh as it were? Will this happen with any office app I download?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Google Docs anyone? I haven't had problems with Polaris, but I haven't used it much. Google Doc now works locally and seem as good as Polaris.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads