Thread: [WARNING] Polaris Office Bug

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

Re: [WARNING] Polaris Office Bug

One problem that I've found with any Android document app is that they don't autosave one's progress. I was using multiple programs to take meeting minutes (Polaris, QuickOffice Pro and Kingsoft Office). Of course, I needed to reference other documents, check email and look at the web during the meeting. Thus, I could not keep the one document open the whole time. I tried to save as I went, but, you know, life happens and I would not always save.

On a Windows Laptop, the documents autosave and stay active until closed. On Android, the app operation would timeout and close. I'd go back and the document would be gone along with all of the progress. Very frustrating.

So we don't feel too bad, this is a problem on iPads, too.

If there is an office suite that saves progress automatically, I'd like to know.

On a related note, I've not found any of these three document handlers to be great at all things. PowerPoint is one area that they need improvement. They don't handle complicated slides well, especially those with many images.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1012 times
    Hardcase--have you updated Kingsoft Office? Reason I ask is, 5.2.2 is out now...after reading your post I opened my Kingsoft Office up, just wrote some jibber-jabber in a file, came back to the forum for a few minutes and did some dibbly-doo. I went back to my homescreen and instead of opening Kingsoft, I just swiped to close it. When I opened Kingsoft up again, I was presented with a sign that said "Kingsoft had quit unexpectedly, did I want to recover my data?" I said 'for hardcase's sake, yes...yes please. Boing bong, there was my jibber-jabber. I believe auto-save and this recovery was added in the last, 2nd to last update... Kingsoft Office.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    Hardcase--have you updated Kingsoft Office? Reason I ask is, 5.2.2 is out now. Kingsoft Office.
    Thank you. I have been using Kingsoft Office. Perhaps the latest version has updated to take care of the problem. I'll try it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Padfone 2
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    Hardcase--have you updated Kingsoft Office? Reason I ask is, 5.2.2 is out now...after reading your post I opened my Kingsoft Office up, just wrote some jibber-jabber in a file, came back to the forum for a few minutes and did some dibbly-doo. I went back to my homescreen and instead of opening Kingsoft, I just swiped to close it. When I opened Kingsoft up again, I was presented with a sign that said "Kingsoft had quit unexpectedly, did I want to recover my data?" I said 'for hardcase's sake, yes...yes please. Boing bong, there was my jibber-jabber. I believe auto-save and this recovery was added in the last, 2nd to last update... Kingsoft Office.
    This works also with DocumentsToGo.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk HD

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    So has anyone had any more bad experience with Polaris? I just got an ASUS TF300T with Jelly Bean 4.1 and Polaris 3.5 build 5r16148FV06. Has there been any update? I kind of like the interface and its simple enough to use. I'm trying to keep from loading up my tablet with tons of apps.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    13 times
    Recent Updates including Auto Recover that has been mentioned here.

update information | Polaris Office

But I would also just say to BroderP... don't worry. You will be blown away by how many apps you can install and not take even a tiny performance hit.
    Seriously.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    1 times
    I had a lot of hassle with Polaris Office, too. I was searching for an office suite for Android with a broad range of functions similarly to my desktop pc. All the apps that were mentioned above didn't convince me. Some of them are just rubbish. others work quite well for viewing Microsoft files, but offered not enough options to edit them. Finally I found the apps of German developer Softmaker. I downloaded TextMaker Mobile at Play Store as a free trial version and was positively surprised. This word processor openend all my doc and docx files, no matter how big, if password protected, or how complex the formats, very quickly and without loss of formats. For editing you can use a great spell checker, insert and edit track changes, comments, images, tables, foot notes and endnotes,...it has the biggest variety of formatting and layout options and much more. Finally bought it and tested their other apps, spreadsheet PlanMaker Mobile, and presentation software SoftMaker Presentations Mobile. same result: great app, best compatibility to Microsoft formats, by far the most features, very close to my office suite (formerly Microsoft Office 2010, now I`m starting to also test Softmaker Office Professional for Windows) used with my desktop pc. You should check it out for free, trial version is valid for 30 days.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck View Post
    I had a lot of hassle with Polaris Office, too. I was searching for an office suite for Android with a broad range of functions similarly to my desktop pc. All the apps that were mentioned above didn't convince me. Some of them are just rubbish. others work quite well for viewing Microsoft files, but offered not enough options to edit them. Finally I found the apps of German developer Softmaker. I downloaded TextMaker Mobile at Play Store as a free trial version and was positively surprised. This word processor openend all my doc and docx files, no matter how big, if password protected, or how complex the formats, very quickly and without loss of formats. For editing you can use a great spell checker, insert and edit track changes, comments, images, tables, foot notes and endnotes,...it has the biggest variety of formatting and layout options and much more. Finally bought it and tested their other apps, spreadsheet PlanMaker Mobile, and presentation software SoftMaker Presentations Mobile. same result: great app, best compatibility to Microsoft formats, by far the most features, very close to my office suite (formerly Microsoft Office 2010, now I`m starting to also test Softmaker Office Professional for Windows) used with my desktop pc. You should check it out for free, trial version is valid for 30 days.
    Correct, the Softmaker software is WAY above every other office software out there, it is one of the most expensive, and I am known as a notorious tight ass, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is actually worth every cent and then some, there is rumour that MSFT will be releasing an official Office application suite at some point for Android, so I was thinking of waiting for that, but then I realised that there is no doubt that MSFT would be charging at least twice what Softmaker charge, and at this stage it is still just rumours!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm soooo glad I read this thread. Newbie to TF Infinity here, and Polaris was driving me crazy. None of the ppt files opened properly (table formats all off, fonts with disapperaing parts) and for the world of me I couldn't do the simplest function of cut/paste on Word. So I'm going with Kings now (free). But there has been lots of talk here for which is best for EXCEL, but for me, I use powerpoint probably as much as Word, so my question is for all you experts who have tried...which is the best for Powerpoint?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Polaris came with my Transformer Prime, and I hadn't had any trouble...until I tried to open a password-protected word doc. No go. I don't know what it's doing, but apparently it can't handle that. So now I need to find something else. I don't mind paying for quality, but anybody love a free app and have no trouble with it?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Ads