Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times

Improved SD card implementation coming in Android 5.0

Hey everyone.
    In these last few months as many devices received their KitKat updates there has been a considerable amount of complaints in respect to how apps are able to access files on external SD cards. As it stood, simple apps like file managers, music apps and photo galleries could not function properly. It looks like google is about to loosen the restrictions bound to SD cards with its latest OS update "Lollypop"

This article in Android Central explains the situation best Android 5.0 Lollipop changes the way your SD card works ? and that's a good thing | Android Central

Using this new method, a developer can now declare a permission*on installation (that's part of that list of items we usually gloss over) to do "things" on device storage — including removable (read: SD cards) storage. One of the things they can do is allow you to choose what folder(s) on the SD card you want the application to be able to change. This could be one folder — like "Music" — or the top level folder. Anything*inside*this directory can be read, written, and possibly deleted.

Simply put, this means that an app like*Poweramp*can now edit tags on the songs you have in the Music folder. Or a photo editor can save to the Pictures folder, and not just its*own*folder. Or a file manager can move files around on the SD card. All the developer needs to do is update the app with the new methods.
    Last edited by Gtanner00; 11-04-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    leeshor and Swipe like this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    this has me enthused. The only other question is if we can root to still enable exposed modules? I plan on skipping 4.4 entirely (currently on 4.3 tf701). I hope ASUS can provide us Android 5 in 2015!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links