Hi,

I have an Asus Eee Pad TF101 since a few years and the more I am using it, the less happy I am about it. I had so many issues with this device that I am in the impression of reverting ten years behind.
Things started well with the stock Android 3 firmware. However, as soon as Asus rolled the Android 4 ICS update, which I was eager to get, things went south. The device started to reboot randomly, overnight it was getting stuck in loops until the battery was discharged or I woke up to press and hold power button, and that continued for several updates, even after a factory reset, until I fiddled to downgrade it to Android 3, waited for another Asus update, tried it and that one worked.

However, the ICS firmware was slow. Often, the device was non-responding and I had to wait a couple of seconds to switch from the home screen to one application or back again. I felt something better was possible with a newer Android version, but Asus decided that I would have to purchase a new device to get updated. Can you imagine one second having to purchase a new desktop or laptop computer to get each and every Windows service pack or each and every update to your Ubuntu distribution? Can anyone accept this? Well, this is what Android device makers are now pushing! The consequence of this is excessive fragmentation: I have Android 4.4, my other device is suck to 4.2, my mother is stuck to 4.1, my friend has 4.0, my brother has 2.2. I imagine the HASSLE, the hellish nightmare, for app developers! Everything needs to be tested on hundreds of combinations and something is likely to be forgotten, causing high instability of applications. Yes, I can refrain from installing applications, but I will have to stop installing anything, because anything can now be unstable and flaw my device! And went things became unstable, seems I am doomed and can only by set back after a factory reset.

So I wanted to go upstream and try a custom ROM. Well, I found good instructions to do this. At some points, the given links were broken and things were going bad or not working at all even for the first steps. But last attempt went pretty well. It was easy through APX to get TRWP flashed in, replacing the dumb Asus recovery, and then TRWP was able to root my device, getting me access to Titanium backup, then some steps later, I was flashing my first custom ROM, Team EOS, Android 4.2.

Team EOS got deprecated, so I had to switch ROM, went to KatKiss. Things went relatively well, but the device had a tendency to become slow over time. Seems it requires regular reboots.

Battery life is bad, maximum two days, and the battery can suddenly drop from 50% to completely empty in one night. I have to power this off or let it plugged in all the times, now. Main culprit is wi-fi, but if I turn it off, when I turn it back on, the device stalls and is non-responsive from 45 seconds to a minute! It seems that all sorts of threads try to access the Internet at the same time and blocks everything up because they cannot simultaneously. But as far as I know, network access can be asynchronous; they should not require intensive CPU usage!
No third party application can help diagnose these issues. I tried BetterBatteryStats, told me this is wi-fi and nothing more. I tried Android Assistant. No option to get diagnostic about what is using wi-fi. I tried searching for the option to look at application data consumption. It is there on my Galaxy Nexus phone, not on the tablet! So I would have to purchase yet another third party application, let it stick in the memory for hours and see if that will output some stats. And all these applications are non-free. Yes, 1.95$, but after US->CA conversions and some hidden fees imposed by my credit card, it ends up 3$, for something non-working that just tries to solve an artificial problem.

Recently I tried updating KatKiss to 4.4. Not only did this force me to factory reset my device, destroying all my homescreen layout, but in addition, I got additional unstability and the Google Camera app just randomly crashes, is non-responsive and requires me to press on the touch screen multiple times to get something done. Moreover, since I started to toy with the camera, everything is now non-responsive, requiring several seconds, even after I killed the camera task.

So bottom line, I am getting quite bad results with this device, enough to believe I am experiencing hardware problems. There's no help about this, nowhere. RMA it? Well, warranty is over. Return to Asus and pay for repair fees? Well, there's more to repair fees, I will have to add shipping charges, wait weeks, and probably get the device back in the same state. I will haveo to revert it to stock ROM before, that will destroy all my settings, and then I won't be able to root again, because even the power/USB cable is now failing so I cannot get any USB data connection! Why can't I just boot a diagnostic tool that would at least make some basic hardware checks, verify the filesystem's integrity, etc. Why installing a custom ROM require rooting the device and a USB data connection? A computer doesn't need all these workarounds! Is it because of the need for anti-piracy, to prevent somebody from installing an illegal app? Well, third-party apps can be installed, bypassing the Google Play Store, without becoming root, so that's not the point. I don't see the point of fragmenting the market like this. This is just beyond me. Device makers will not get more money with this, not long term. People will soon realize this makes no sens to purchase, reconfigure and throw away a new tablet each year and will either stop using tables, or go with Apple's iPad and I will be stuck with nothing because iTunes is a real hassle for me and it is needed to transfer a single file from PC to device.

The touch screen works randomly. Sometimes, it is correct, sometimes it does not respond. Maybe the screen is bad, but more likely the CPU of this poor little device is so busy that it even does not process user input. But as far as I read about Android development, the top-level activity with user interaction has the highest priority in the processus scheduler, so it should not get blocked sporadically, unless some applications install services capable of overriding the scheduler.

I am getting frequent application not responding, in any application, whether it is stock Google apps or games. This makes me believe the device is not capable of multi-tasking but the OS pretends it is and just gets blown away by extra emulation work. Why not make the interface single-tasking then, closing all background apps when something runs? This is less fun, but if it is more responsive, I would be glad to go for it. Or if CPU upgrades are possible, that would help, but of course not, this is a monolithic device, not modular enough to accept upgrades.

Keyboard works randomly. Swipping to write a text works randomly, making me believe Android gets only the first letter, last letter and time I spent swipping, so it guesses with that and sometimes gets right, sometimes wrong. Going letter by letter works, but it would require looking at each type result to get it right, otherwise sometimes the wrong letter is picked.
Asus physical keyboard does not help much, because it randomly skips keys. I tried it several times and stopped using it at all.

Yes, I could factory reset, not install ANY apps, wait weeks and see, then install one app at a time. But Android auto-reinstalls all apps, only I disable backup and restore, and then it won't preserve ANY of my settings, ranging from wi-fi access points to wall paper. And even after the long exercize, if I find one or two apps that bloat my device and remove them, what if an update bloats one of my other apps? I will have to redo the same exercize. And what if the culprit is a somewhat essential app, like Facebook or GMail? Yes, I can use the Web browser to replace the app, but I would have to type my password each and every time I want to login, as opposed to the app that can remember it.

Yes, I could try other ROMs, but each ROM switch requires factory reset and reentering all passwords, reinstalling everything.

Is it really that I got a bad device or is there a fundamental flaw with Android, letting applications gain enough control to bloat everything up? I cannot believe that, since Android has a Linux fundation and Linux kernel is quite robust, at least as far as I know.