Thread: AVG AntiVirus PRO / Boat Browser

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    36 times

AVG AntiVirus PRO / Boat Browser

AVG AntiVirus Pro has just run it's weekly routine scan and come up with a warning that my Boat Browser PRO contains malware. I uninstalled Boat Browser and reinstalled it and again after scanning the new app came up with the warning that Boat Browser is classified as Malware, and gave me the option to uninstall it, or ignore the alert.

I have just run an AVG scan on my wife's 300, which also has Boat Browser PRO and no alert of any type came up.

Anyone any ideas ?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Now and then it's possible to get a false positive. Sounds like that may be it, or something else is triggering it and it thinks it's Boat.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Now and then it's possible to get a false positive. Sounds like that may be it, or something else is triggering it and it thinks it's Boat.
    Thanks for the 'instant' reply. So do you thing that I should ignore the warning and reinstall Boat ? I have grown very fond of it, and the way it works. I have just done an extra sensitive anti virus scan and it did not show up any problems.

I have just done another AVG scan on the ME301T and it came up with the same warning about Boat. I have uninstalled it, just in case, or until I know more about it.
    Last edited by enduser2; 07-02-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I have had AVG so that to me too. I only have it installed on 1 of my 4 Android devices, with other apps on the other 3 and it warns me about an app only on that phone but the other AV software doesn't warn me about the same app. If it came from the Google store I would not be concerned. The apps AVG has warned me about were only tools, nothing that important and the warnings were about possible privacy issues. I did uninstall them, but like I said they weren't a big deal.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I'd also add - ask the AVG & Boat browser developers about this. They need to know one way or the other.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    I'd also add - ask the AVG & Boat browser developers about this. They need to know one way or the other.
    Yes, I was going to let them know.

I have now emailed them both. I shall let the forum know what they say.
    Last edited by enduser2; 07-03-2014 at 03:10 AM.
    janner43 likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    36 times
    I have decided to reinstate Boat Browser anyway as I think that it's one of the best Browsers out there. I have heard back from AVG, they said that I was not using the latest version of their App, they asked me to uninstall it, and reinstall it from the Play Store, which I did. It seems to me that it is exactly the same version but with a - 0 on the end. The 'allow automatic updates' box was checked, as it has always been, so I am a little confused.
    I ran the first scan and no 'threats' were shown. I have reported this back to them, if they come back I'll let the Forum know.
    janner43 and leeshor like this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    67 times
    I assume you installed Boat from the Play Store.

Have you tried any other AV programs to see if they also report an issue? My opinion of AVG as a good AV program went down a lot back when I used it on a Windows platform. Somewhere around V7, its bloat went way up and it tried to be everything to everyone. I'd no longer use it on a Windows platform. Since AVG for Android is from the same company, I can't help but think they've adapted, as best they could, the same engine to Android that they use on Windows and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the shortcomings it has on Windows have migrated as well. For years I've seen reports on Windows forums about AVG false positives (and they continue), so I can't bring myself to trust it on Android to avoid the false positives there, either.

Obviously, just one person's opinion. Nearly any AV program is capable of false positives. I just seem to see more reports about AVG than others.
    --
    LikesCookies
    TF201 CAOKASxxxxxx/BCOKASxxxxxx
    Dock C3OKASxxxxxx

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LikesCookies View Post
    I assume you installed Boat from the Play Store.

Have you tried any other AV programs to see if they also report an issue? My opinion of AVG as a good AV program went down a lot back when I used it on a Windows platform. Somewhere around V7, its bloat went way up and it tried to be everything to everyone. I'd no longer use it on a Windows platform. Since AVG for Android is from the same company, I can't help but think they've adapted, as best they could, the same engine to Android that they use on Windows and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the shortcomings it has on Windows have migrated as well. For years I've seen reports on Windows forums about AVG false positives (and they continue), so I can't bring myself to trust it on Android to avoid the false positives there, either.

Obviously, just one person's opinion. Nearly any AV program is capable of false positives. I just seem to see more reports about AVG than others.

No I have not tried any other AV programme on my Tablet. I have used AVG on my Desktop for some years without any problems. I used to be a Norton fan but they had a very bad year when there all sorts of problems. I suppose that I use AVG because it's a programme that I know. You are right, they all have there strengths and weaknesses. This is the first time that I have ever received a warning like this on my Tablet, and hopefully the last.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links